WARNING! Remington 870 Tactical Jamming issue...

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
phatspeed7x
New Shotgunner

WARNING! Remington 870 Tactical Jamming issue...

Post by phatspeed7x » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 am

I bought my Remington 870 Tactical 12ga brand new back in September. From day one I noticed that I was getting jam after jam after jam... Put 110 rounds though it (field, buck, home defense, etc), and nothing seem to help....

All the shells that were being jammed looked like this...

I did a visual inspection of the camber and found this...

The circled notice in the rail was catching the rim of the shotgun shell, and causing it to jam.

Just as a comparison here is what a good chamber looks like...

I was able to get the notch out of my rail, and get the shells to slide by the damaged area without hanging up. A lot of polishing, and little crud gun smithing later...

I will shoot it in the morning, and give you guys a full report. But I'm thinking this will fix the problem. I also plan on writing Remington an e-mail about this issue. Since I did the repair I'm sure my warranty is void, but just to let them know about the issue...

phatspeed7x
New Shotgunner

Re: WARNING! Remington 870 Tactical Jamming issue...

Post by phatspeed7x » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Well my novice gun smithing might not be pretty... but it worked! I just shot 25 rounds and not a single jam! No bent shells, pumps like an 870 should, and with more shooting the ejector should keep on polishing. I've regained trust in this shotgun now.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Thats horrible.... I was pretty sure before but now im posotive, Remington is officially garbage. It looks like the spot welder missed the intended target and then ignored his screw up, welded the ejector on and sent the worthless gun on its marry way.

Well glad you were able to do Remingtons job for them, you were probably better off, being when i sent mine in it came back with a little rust and all the same issues.

Im fighting a few issues on my 870 as it is now too.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:08 am

Wow... that's pretty bad. I'd want to hear some sweet talking from Remington too!

I know every company gets the odd miss on the QC, but still, when it's yours that doesn't mean much.

phatspeed7x
New Shotgunner

Post by phatspeed7x » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Well I did get a reply e-mail back from Remington today. They are gonna see what they can do about sending me something for my troubles I experienced with my gun. I will keep you guys informed to see how things turn out here.

I did do some more shooting with it, and am happy to say it hasn't malfunctioned again.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Glad to hear she's reliable now. Terrible thing when you can't trust your own gun.

Let us know how they make it up to you!

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm

It's good that it works properly now. But I am surprised to see such problem in brand new Remington 870 shotgun. I think I will have a post about it, so that people inspect new shotguns before buying them.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Vitaly wrote:It's good that it works properly now. But I am surprised to see such problem in brand new Remington 870 shotgun. I think I will have a post about it, so that people inspect new shotguns before buying them.
Good idea.

phatspeed7x
New Shotgunner

Post by phatspeed7x » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:39 pm

For my problems with the shotgun Remington sent me a couple free hats in the mail...

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Randomguns » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Just my opinion, they should have sent you a new receiver and requested the original back so they could eliminate the evidence of poor quality workmanship. On the other hand I feel you are fortunate you ended up with anything, even if they are "Made in Bangladesh - One Size fits Most". Go ahead, look inside. That's OK, I have one on my head right now too! :lol: Happy things worked out.
This Space For Rent