Full Choke Steel or Lead

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
Nbhunter

Full Choke Steel or Lead

Post by Nbhunter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello, I just picked a used wingmaster I plan on using this duck season, last few years I used an 887. The reciever is a non mag build in 1973 with a 3" light contor barrel with screw in chokes. I wont have time this year to convert the reciever to take 3" shells so I'll ube using 2.75" steel. The rem choke that came with it is a full choke that has steel or lead writin on it. I was under the impression full choke couldn't used with steel.

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Full Choke Steel or Lead

Post by Germansheperd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am

As long as it has steel on the choke by all means take it hunting and put duck on the table.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:29 pm

What he said, but for ducks you may want to open up the choke a bit to MOD or IC. Ducks loads use larger shot size, and thus many fewer pellets in a 2-3/4" shell. If you're keeping them all in a very tight pattern, you have to be dead-on for the duck to produce a clean kill.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Never used a laser rangefinder for ducks, but it might be handy when setting decoys. Usually just set the decoys to within where you know your pattern will be effective and then only shoot within that distance. I can't imagine having time to laser a duck when it's already within the (say) 40-yard zone. And at that point who cares if it is 34 yards or 35?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

mrperkinsmark

Post by mrperkinsmark » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:52 am

Your discussion reminded me of the info I found about golf and hunting rangefinders. The laser one is actually can be used for both purposes. A golf one seeks the nearest flagstick for measuring the distance in an open field. “First target mode” is the default target setting of this rangefinder as they are built for the golfer. And hunting rangefinders always are in “Distant Target Mode” by default to spot wildlife in wooden terrains. This target set automatically ignores close objects that could obstruct the view. These rangefinders come with about a mile range so that it can range beyond the brush. And someone even uses a golf rangefinder for hunting. My friend said that after trying and getting frustrated with his hunting rangefinder, he set out to buy a new one for golf. The hunting one was ok, but the golf ones “grab” the pins and make it so easy.