twisting fore-end bypasses action lock

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
zippozach

twisting fore-end bypasses action lock

Post by zippozach » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi y'all,
Ive searched a bit but haven't found this specific issue posted anywhere.
Brand new Tac-14 20 gauge, if I apply pressure to the right side of the fore-end (twisting it counter-clockwise when looking down sights) it will bypass the action lock, and can be racked back an inch or two, with the action bar sliding along the inside of the action lock, until the two bind. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to do it, so could certainly be done accidentally.. not what I want in a home defense gun!
It looks to me like the aft most 1/2" of the slide that is normally blocked by the action lock is bend inward just a little bit. catches normally but can be twisted a little more to miss the lock entirely.

Is this something that can be fixed at home, or should I be going through Remington for a new slide tube?

Thanks!!

USMA-1982
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: twisting fore-end bypasses action lock

Post by USMA-1982 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Are you left handed by chance? I'm RH, and it would be extremely awkward to manipulate the fore-end with my left hand to get enough counterclockwise twist to replicate the condition you describe.

Doesn't sound normal though - I would return it.

PS - welcome to the forum.

zippozach

Re: twisting fore-end bypasses action lock

Post by zippozach » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 pm

nope, right handed. It was crazy easy. the pressure of my thumb on the left side of the foregrip was enough to do it. broke the gun down and it was as I thought, the rail was bent. I was able to hammer it flat enough to function, and then had Remington ship me a new fore-end tube assembly.