870 Express Tactical won't fire unless empty

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
thatnahr

870 Express Tactical won't fire unless empty

Post by thatnahr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:52 pm

I just got an 870 Express Tactical today, and I wanted to try to get used to working the gun with some cheap snap caps I bought. If I load the shotgun with the snap caps, the gun won't "fire." Pulling the trigger does not produce a click. If I dry fire without the snap caps, it works as expected; I can "fire" the gun, work the action, and go again. No modifications have been done to the gun; I just got it today from Remington. I was going to try to take it to the range on Sunday and shoot it, and I guess I still could just to check if it's the snap caps that are the issue (but I don't think they would be).

Thanks for any help.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 Express Tactical won't fire unless empty

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Make sure you've got the action fully cocked by moving the slide forward, and you don't have to be gentle as these are tough, capable shotguns. Feed a couple snap caps into the magazine tube, and then work the action enthusiastically. Chances are you're not seating the snap cap fully to engage the mechanism. Let us know. Also work the safety back and forth to make sure it isn't binding.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

thatnahr

Post by thatnahr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm
Make sure you've got the action fully cocked by moving the slide forward, and you don't have to be gentle as these are tough, capable shotguns. Feed a couple snap caps into the magazine tube, and then work the action enthusiastically. Chances are you're not seating the snap cap fully to engage the mechanism. Let us know. Also work the safety back and forth to make sure it isn't binding.
This worked, thanks. Is this something that will improve with usage? I've only shot shotguns once before, years ago, and I didn't have any issues with being forceful enough. I'm more experienced with handguns, and I know that lots of handguns have a break-in period where you might have to keep the slide locked for an extended period of time or use hotter ammo. So should I expect the action to get a little easier/smoother with time and usage, or am I just being a wimp? Thanks again for your help.

USMA-1982
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USMA-1982 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 pm

If the "cheap" snap caps are shorter than 2 3/4 in length it might be that you're able to chamber the cap without fully retracting the forearm and cocking the hammer. New shotgun actions do wear in and get smoother with use just like any other firearm.

Also make sure you clean and lube it to remove any leftover gunk from the manufacturing process.

thatnahr

Post by thatnahr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm

USMA-1982 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 pm
If the "cheap" snap caps are shorter than 2 3/4 in length it might be that you're able to chamber the cap without fully retracting the forearm and cocking the hammer. New shotgun actions do wear in and get smoother with use just like any other firearm.

Also make sure you clean and lube it to remove any leftover gunk from the manufacturing process.
Didn't even think to actually measure the snap caps until I read your comment. Put them next to some Federal 2 3/4" birdshot and they are definitely short. They're closer to 2". Still 12 gauge, but very short. That's what I get for cheaping out, I guess.

I like to keep my handguns clean, so I'll be sure to keep it clean too. Will need to give it a cleaning before firing it, but first I need to find a longer cleaning rod.

Thanks!

USMA-1982
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USMA-1982 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Yup, sounded like you were short stroking it. Good luck and enjoy your new 870!

Klagz13
Shotgunner

Post by Klagz13 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:03 am

thatnahr wrote:
USMA-1982 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Didn't even think to actually measure the snap caps until I read your comment. Put them next to some Federal 2 3/4" birdshot and they are definitely short. They're closer to 2". Still 12 gauge, but very short. That's what I get for cheaping out, I guess.

I like to keep my handguns clean, so I'll be sure to keep it clean too. Will need to give it a cleaning before firing it, but first I need to find a longer cleaning rod.

Thanks!
And that’s why I’m on these forums! Helpful comments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justinhinkle

Post by justinhinkle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:02 pm

The 870 Express® Tactical provides citizens with a rugged, value-priced workhorse, that comes equipped for real world combat. This tactical shotgun comes with an extended magazine, XS® ghost ring sights, and an 18-1/2" barrel fitted with an extended, ported, Tactical Rem® Choke.

Remington 870 Express
The Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun is a 4-round capacity shotgun that features a 28" vent-rib Remington choke barrel with a matte black, nonreflective metal finish and a wood-laminated stock with a satin finish and a SuperCell recoil pad.
The Remington 870 is made in Ilion, NY.

Rounds does a Remington 870 tactical hold
870 Express Synthetic Tactical – Seven-Round Capacity – Weatherproof matte-black synthetic stock. 18.5" barrel with fixed-cylinder-bore choke and single-bead front sight. Magazine holds six 2-3/4" or five 3" shells and one in the chamber for seven-shot capacity.

Far Remington 870 shoot
The 3 to 4 inch group is easily accomplished at 100 yards with a rifled barrel. The effective range is somewhere around 125 yards. Some.45 caliber and .50 caliber Sabot rounds claim to have an effective range of up to 200 yards.

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
First, the similarities. Both the Mossberg and Remington were designed for use with interchangeable barrels. ... Both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 use dual action bars for reliable operation. The 870 features a slightly heavier steel receiver and has a safety to the rear of the trigger on the trigger guard.
Last edited by Scorpion8 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed obvious spam l,inks