Pistols

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: Pistols

Post by Banshee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:56 pm

yes sir, it is a great shooting pistol and feels great in the hand.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Update on my S&W. Didn't much care for the factory grips; the ejection well didn't play nice with my speedloaders (Safariland Comp IIs), and hurt my thumb when shooting magnums. Plus, it just didn't give me the kind of traction I like to have.

So, I ponied up for a nice hardwood grip from Hogue. Paid a bit extra for the Coco Bolo wood, which is very strong, pretty, and water-resistant due to its natural oils; and the contrasting stripe cap, just to treat myself. Very nice checkering on this grip; deep and sharp, really digs into your skin when you grip it hard. Exactly how I like it. Control under recoil is much improved, and it leaves plenty of space for my speedloaders to reach the cylinder.
IMG_0022_C.JPG
4" S&W Model 19-4, .357 Magnum
IMG_0022_C.JPG (134.12 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
I've made a couple trips to the range with it, getting the sights dialed in and getting used to shooting something that actually has a good trigger. I'm so accustomed to Glocks and cheap double-action pocket autos that this Smith is taking some getting used to, but I'm improving.

I've also started handloading for it, using the .38 Special and .357 Mag to cut my teeth on metallic reloading. Put together a nice 600 FPS target load for practice using Hornady 148-grain wadcutters and the same 700-X powder I use for 12ga plinking, target, and slug loads. Feels almost like a .22 LR, and it's cheap to shoot and more accurate than I can be at this point. Cleaner than the cheap American Eagle .38s I tried before, as well. I also picked up a box of Hornady 158-grain XTPs and a pound of VhitaVuori N-110 that I plan to use for some .357 Mag loads; a maximum load for woods defense and a light-mag load for social work.

I do need to get better at shooting this thing double-action before I carry it, and my .357 SIG Glock is going to remain my go-to gun for social work for the forseeable future, but I'm looking forward to carrying my S&W for more formal occasions like north Idaho weddings & funerals.

I'm also on the hunt for a decent leather holster for this guy. Normally I'd pick up a cheap Uncle Mike's or something to start, but it seems sacrilegious to carry this gun in something like that. I like the looks of the Sourdough Pancake from Simply Rugged, as it can be an IWB or OWB, and is also compatible with their chest rig for woods carry. Unfortunately, the full setup with chest rig and other desired add-ons is a bit more than I can spend right now, being between jobs.

Usmc1963
New Shotgunner

Post by Usmc1963 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:51 am

Left to right: S&W M&P Shield 9mm S&W 642 and S&W M&P Shield 45 acp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (941.76 KiB) Viewed 9636 times
Frank

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Gotta say that I really like the S&W M&P Shield. My spouse has one in 9mm. Very nice carry pistol. She should be careful I don't adopt it... ;)
I've got several double-action revolvers. My J-frame is the 638 "Body Guard Air Weight" version with aluminum frame and stainless cylinder. Carries well in a front pocket holster, or with jeans inside the waistband with DeSantis "clip grips" installed, although those do put the revolver deeper under the waistband and concomitantly may slow down the draw a little.

OWB calls for Ruger Speed Six with 2-3/4" barrel fitted with a Tyler T-grip adapter, or a Ruger SP101 with three inch barrel. Both of those stainless revolvers are modified to DAO with factory bobbed hammers. There's a Crimson Trace laser grip on the SP101 for dry-fire and holster draw practice or "night stand duty." I use a crummy Ruger .22 LCR as a low cost understudy for air weight practice.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 pm

I ordered this Glock 19X the other day

Nice piece, What can you say, it's a Glock. I really like how it feels in my hand, and it really shoots good. I wish it was available in something other the color it is, black or a dark green maybe
Last edited by Banshee on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:14 am

Browning HiPower.... the "improved" design by JMB after the crude first attempt of the 1911. :mrgreen:

Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Preacher_Ed
New Shotgunner

Post by Preacher_Ed » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:09 am

Kimber Compact CDP II

BILLYJACK

Post by BILLYJACK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Sig P228 - p232
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 7155 times