ONG Remington 870

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: ONG Remington 870

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Old-Duckman wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 pm
Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Old-Duckman wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 pm
IMG_5232.JPGOrdered one of the folders right after I got the email.

Picked it up today...I hit the ONG lottery. Mine has an "Unservicable (repairable)" tag for missing "buttstock locking pin" "Parts ordered".

Well apparently the pin went missing shortly after they obtained the firearm and the parts never showed up so this one was dumped with the rest when sold. It is in near pristine condition...except for the missing parts.

Actually this is the reason I joined the forum this evening. I have a lathe and the skill to use it but it would be great if someone who owns a folding stock would be kind enough to remove it from their stock (temporarily) and make a simple dimensioned sketch so that I can turn a replacement without trial and error. Can anyone reading this help me out ? I will post a similar request in the Gunsmithing section.

Don't know that my photo does it justice but it is clean!
I can’t help you with measurements but I found this image of the part: F623ACA6-C5E6-4C49-AEB0-28A2E5825A2E.jpeg
Dr. Thanks SO much, that photo will be a Great Help ! So very appreciated !

It came from a website that used to sell it but apparently has been long out of stock :-(

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Old-Duckman wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Old-Duckman wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 pm
IMG_5232.JPGOrdered one of the folders right after I got the email.

Picked it up today...I hit the ONG lottery. Mine has an "Unservicable (repairable)" tag for missing "buttstock locking pin" "Parts ordered".

Well apparently the pin went missing shortly after they obtained the firearm and the parts never showed up so this one was dumped with the rest when sold. It is in near pristine condition...except for the missing parts.

Actually this is the reason I joined the forum this evening. I have a lathe and the skill to use it but it would be great if someone who owns a folding stock would be kind enough to remove it from their stock (temporarily) and make a simple dimensioned sketch so that I can turn a replacement without trial and error. Can anyone reading this help me out ? I will post a similar request in the Gunsmithing section.

Don't know that my photo does it justice but it is clean!
I can’t help you with measurements but I found this image of the part: F623ACA6-C5E6-4C49-AEB0-28A2E5825A2E.jpeg
Hey, just a heads up, one of the fellows on facebook mentioned he had the exact same issue as you, missing the lock pin. He called SOSS directly and asked them if maybe they had any of the bits laying around in the bottom of the crates. They sent him a spring and a pin, but were missing the c clip. Might be worth a shot to reach out to them?

TonyBen
Shotgunner

Post by TonyBen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Well, looks like mine was from the bottom of the barrel. The stock is pretty scuffed and there's some surface rust. The bayonet screws were tough to get out and I had to use channel locks with padding to get the magazine tube end cap off.

All-in-all, the gun was handled a lot but shot very little. The bore was squeaky clean. The parts show very little wear. I'll upgrade the bolt, slide and shell carrier to the flexi-tab style. I'll either replace the ejector or cut the existing one to handle 3" mags. I'll most likely replace the barrel with a 3" mag version.

I've got to figure out what to do about the bayonet mount. I don't know if I should have it re-blued or refinished like the rest of the steel parts.

I might send them over to Brad at CCR and have him give it a good paint job. I've got a SAGE pistol grip on order and will eventually install a hydraulic buffer tube and a set of Magpul furniture.

Tony.

Old-Duckman
New Shotgunner

Post by Old-Duckman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm
Old-Duckman wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

Hey, just a heads up, one of the fellows on facebook mentioned he had the exact same issue as you, missing the lock pin. He called SOSS directly and asked them if maybe they had any of the bits laying around in the bottom of the crates. They sent him a spring and a pin, but were missing the c clip. Might be worth a shot to reach out to them?
Thanks a lot I might do that but I did turn the part out on my lathe this Saturday, had several spring kits and found a spring that works, bought snap ring kit from Amazon so I have various sizes for any future needs...So mine is up and functional. The photo posted on this thread was invaluable. I scaled the photo and turned the part out on the first try with no revisions needed. The “hardest” part of the job was cutting the groove for the snap ring. The groove was only 0.020 wide, couldn’t grind a tool that thin. Luckily I do silversmithing etc. and have jewelers saw frames and various sized blades. Was able to cut the groove in the pin with the saw. Not a typical “machining” operation but it worked out well.

1911LVR
Shotgunner

Post by 1911LVR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Old-Duckman wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm
Thanks a lot I might do that but I did turn the part out on my lathe this Saturday, had several spring kits and found a spring that works, bought snap ring kit from Amazon so I have various sizes for any future needs...So mine is up and functional. The photo posted on this thread was invaluable. I scaled the photo and turned the part out on the first try with no revisions needed. The “hardest” part of the job was cutting the groove for the snap ring. The groove was only 0.020 wide, couldn’t grind a tool that thin. Luckily I do silversmithing etc. and have jewelers saw frames and various sized blades. Was able to cut the groove in the pin with the saw. Not a typical “machining” operation but it worked out well.
You sir have talent!

Old-Duckman
New Shotgunner

Post by Old-Duckman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 pm

1911LVR wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 pm
Old-Duckman wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm
You sir have talent!
Thank you sir for the kind words. It really wasn’t a difficult lathe job though but I gotta admit the groove for the snap ring was a bit tricky. Thank goodness I have the jewelers saw and blades they saved the day!

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Mine turned out to be a pretty nice one. One or two scratches in the receiver, a few tiny dings on the bayonet lug. Zero wear inside the receiver.

Broke it down, cleaned it up, oiled the chips in the stock then applied a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax.

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

Comp870

Post by Comp870 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:01 am

Dang those Wingmasters look pretty sweet!!!! Too bad I was a day late !!!!!! Would have looked nice on the shelf, or under the bed!

1911LVR
Shotgunner

Post by 1911LVR » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 am

Beautiful. Same date stamp as mine, they could be brothers!
gun1.png
gun1.png (598.93 KiB) Viewed 5719 times

Hangernade
New Shotgunner

Post by Hangernade » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 am

TonyBen wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 pm
Well, looks like mine was from the bottom of the barrel. The stock is pretty scuffed and there's some surface rust. The bayonet screws were tough to get out and I had to use channel locks with padding to get the magazine tube end cap off.

All-in-all, the gun was handled a lot but shot very little. The bore was squeaky clean. The parts show very little wear. I'll upgrade the bolt, slide and shell carrier to the flexi-tab style. I'll either replace the ejector or cut the existing one to handle 3" mags. I'll most likely replace the barrel with a 3" mag version.

I've got to figure out what to do about the bayonet mount. I don't know if I should have it re-blued or refinished like the rest of the steel parts.

I might send them over to Brad at CCR and have him give it a good paint job. I've got a SAGE pistol grip on order and will eventually install a hydraulic buffer tube and a set of Magpul furniture.

Tony.
Of you're looking at selling the barrel or the furniture let me know.
Hungry Like The Wolf