My "new" hunting gun and I would like sling recommendations

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

My "new" hunting gun and I would like sling recommendations

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi everybody! I've never posted in this section. This will be my first year hunting, I will be hunting upland birds, mostly Chukar, in the wonderful state of Nevada. This means miles of walking up and down a lot of crappy rocky terrain.

I picked up this late 70's Wingmaster for a great price. When I got it home and opened it up for a cleaning, there was literally zero wear inside the receiver. No wear on the mag tube from the slide or on the action bars. The thing is mint.

The first issue is that it's a fixed full choke. After a bunch of searching, a bunch of shooting clay's as well, and talking to my buddies who have been doing this for a long time, I realized this is not too ideal for what I'll be doing. I was also worried about taking such a fine example of a Wingmaster out into the field where it'll get beat on climbing through the desert terrain. I searched for options, thought about selling it for something less pretty and more adaptable, ran budgets looked at options, and decided to keep it.

I ordered a new barrel for it that is threaded for chokes, so, that solves that problem! After selling it and getting a mid-range semi auto like a Mossberg 930 or one of the Turkish guns, It all would have cost the same in the end. I also came to the conclusion that being pretty matters not. This gun was built to hunt birds, and in 40 some off years it clearly never has, so I'm going to use it for its intended purpose. I've got a vintage American made work of art, and I'm gonna use it

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

So anyway, I need a sling due to the long walks and crappy terrain. What would you all recommend I do? I have a sling stud kit with a magazine cap. I'm kind of torn, do I put the stud in the back of the stock, or should I mount it in the cap of the grip? Is there a good reason not to do this? Picture of a mock up:
ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

Are there any good leather slings you can recommend, or should I just go with any old rifle sling that is long enough?

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: My "new" hunting gun and I would like sling recommendations

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Well, thanks to all the wonderful recommendations from this site, I decided to mount the stud to the stock, and I got a different sling than pictured.

Thank you all for your help.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:07 am

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 pm
Well, thanks to all the wonderful recommendations from this site, I decided to mount the stud to the stock, and I got a different sling than pictured. Thank you all for your help.
Sarcasm noted.

I put the same mag-tube end-cap mounted sling swivel on my 870 Synthetic woods slug gun. Sling recommendations? To each their own. I can't recommend a specific sling, only what I like.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:07 am
Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 pm
Well, thanks to all the wonderful recommendations from this site, I decided to mount the stud to the stock, and I got a different sling than pictured. Thank you all for your help.
Sarcasm noted.

I put the same mag-tube end-cap mounted sling swivel on my 870 Synthetic woods slug gun. Sling recommendations? To each their own. I can't recommend a specific sling, only what I like.
I just went with a pretty cheap but easily adjustable and quite comfortable neoprene unit from Caldwell. It adjusts almost like a Vickers sling but was $20 not $65 lol. She should Be all set.
A4838EED-D1BC-41F6-9FC7-8D825D791014.jpeg
A4838EED-D1BC-41F6-9FC7-8D825D791014.jpeg (962.81 KiB) Viewed 374985 times

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Looks like it'll do the trick. Another reason why you probably didn't get any recommendations is because to most of us the sling is an after-thought. Last time I found a sling I really, really liked I bought 5-6 of them and just keep swapping those around when I buy/sell/trade rifles and shotguns. But what brand or model is it? Dunno..... that's too much brain effort required.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm
Looks like it'll do the trick. Another reason why you probably didn't get any recommendations is because to most of us the sling is an after-thought. Last time I found a sling I really, really liked I bought 5-6 of them and just keep swapping those around when I buy/sell/trade rifles and shotguns. But what brand or model is it? Dunno..... that's too much brain effort required.
Odd, that's like saying a holster is an after thought. I put about as much effort into deciding on a holster or sling as I do on the gun itself. Very important part of the kit, and something uncomfortable or not suited well can make or break the usage of the whole firearm platform.

I'm not saying I'm always right. I have a box full of slings and holsters and different mag carriers etc that I'll probably never use again, and that box keeps growing in my never ending search for the next improvement.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am

Here in East Tennesse and Southwest Virginia it is kinda rare to see a sling on a hunting shotgun.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 pm
Odd, that's like saying a holster is an after thought.
It is, to a point. I may put a lot of consideration into the first choice, but once I've settled on a sling or a holster I tend to buy the same item repetitively. All my Blackhawk holsters are the same, just changed for differing barrel lengths.. Almost all my rifle slings are the same. And I have extra that I grab when I need one. So at that point, it is an after-thought.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Banshee wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am
Here in East Tennesse and Southwest Virginia it is kinda rare to see a sling on a hunting shotgun.
out here we walk miles and miles up and down rough terrain.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:19 am

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 pm
Banshee wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am
out here we walk miles and miles up and down rough terrain.
Pretty rought terrain here also.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.