My 7mm AR-10 Build (In Progress)

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: My 7mm AR-10 Build (In Progress)

Post by John A. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:22 pm

I see a lot of high dollar parts, but I also see a lot of quality which is what is going to make this gun stand out from the rest too.

Well done so far Sync.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 am

John A. wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:22 pm
I see a lot of high dollar parts, but I also see a lot of quality ...
Agreed, and I like most of the choices. One piece gas ruings were all the rage years back, and there was so much argument on boards regarding one-versus-three. Frankly I think they both work fine, and it's more important to keep the rifle clean and lubed. Would love to also try that captured recoil spring. Always enjoyed the >sproing!> sound of the hollow-tube recoil spring and buffer.

Can't wait to see it all come together.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 am

So, it's long since time for an update. This time, it's the fire control stuff - the trigger & safety. I've actually had these parts in-hand and installed for some time. I took these pictures months ago, but then I guess I got distracted, and forgot that I hadn't actually written a post for them to go in.

Anyway, first up is a Radian Talon Ambi Safety 4-lever kit. Pretty clever design, this; the center barrel is machined so that it can function as either a 90° or 45° safety, and switching between the two is as simple as loosening the grip to take spring pressure off the detent and rotating the thing around - no need to even take it out of the receiver. And then the levers slide onto the dovetailed ends and snap into place with spring-loaded pins, rather than screws that can come loose with use. This was the big selling point for me, it's a very simple and effective concept, and it's very easy to snap the levers on and off. You also have the option to leave the lever off one side if you don't need ambi functionality, or you can pop a lever on backwards if you're one of those who likes the off-side safety to be flipped around. And with four different lever shapes to choose from, you end up with about two dozen different potential combos if you include reversing levers or leaving one off. I ended up going with the large lever on the left side, and the medium on the right, with a 45° throw. It's a huge improvement over the basic military-style safety.

My one gripe is that the mating slots in the levers are machined kinda loose, so there's a bit of wiggle in the levers, though it doesn't do anything to hurt function.

IMG_2884_C.JPG
IMG_2884_C.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
IMG_2883_C.JPG
IMG_2883_C.JPG (79.75 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
Then, at the beginning of April, I went ahead and made a final decision on the trigger. I had been looking at some innovative single-stage triggers initially, but as this project went on and I decided to focus on making it more capable as a precision target & hunting rifle, I started looking at 2-stage triggers. And of course, everyone had nothing but praise for Geissele's offerings. I had been really impressed with my charging handle, so I spent some time looking at their triggers, and I found this video. Attention manufacturers, this is how you sell something to an engineer. Don't throw music or flashy graphics or shots of bearded dudes at the range in my face; just keep it simple and show/tell me why your product is good. If you can't explain - really explain - what makes your product special, why should I be interested in it?

Anyway, I settled on the SSA-E trigger for precision work, combined with the simplicity and robustness of a non-adjustable design. I grabbed it for about $40 off by waiting for a sale, and I'm really excited about it. Dry-firing feels beautiful, and it's obvious that this was made to an extremely high quality standard. The design work is very good too - the re-done sear & disconnector make for a very consistent and clean 2-stage pull despite the full-power springs involved. I was also impressed when I noticed that it retains the mil-spec sear surfaces as a safety feature, in case the primary sear wears or gets damaged. Clever stuff, and I can't wait to actually try it for real.

IMG_2885_C.JPG
IMG_2885_C.JPG (137.18 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
IMG_2887_C.JPG
IMG_2887_C.JPG (123.93 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
I just got the barrel in last weekend, so look for an update with photos of that as soon as I manage to dig out my cameras and find space & time to photograph it. I just moved, so everything's a mess right now.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 am
So, it's long since time for an update.....I just got the barrel in last weekend, so look for an update with photos of that as soon as I manage to dig out my cameras and find space & time to photograph it.
Yup, time for an update!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

milspec

Post by milspec » Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am

It looks like the collection is pretty awesome. There are lot of similar sites available around the internet for the sales of such tools and gadgets. hoping to see more useful stuff like this over here. high quality firearm accessories