Remodeling Tac-14 - Need shortest +2 Mag extension, or...

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Azrial
New Shotgunner

Remodeling Tac-14 - Need shortest +2 Mag extension, or...

Post by Azrial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 am

I am reconfiguring my Tac-14 with a longer barrel and a shorter grip and have to keep the OAL greater than 26" to be US legal. Since the barrel is going to be longer, it would be nice to gain an extra round, if only with 2.5" shells.

Which is the shortest plus 2 Mag extension for the Remington 870?

I know that one of the companies makes what is said to be a "1 and a half" extension when used on the Tac-14, is that the Nordic?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Remodeling Tac-14 - Need shortest +2 Mag extension, or...

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:55 am

How long is your barrel going to be?

Azrial
New Shotgunner

Post by Azrial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:05 am

While I am trying to keep the guns OAL to as close to 26.25" as possible to be legal, I could go a little longer if it gave me a benefit. As is, with the Pachmeyer Vindicator Grip I have selected, I will have to cut it to at least 15" from the forward edge of the receiver.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 am

Not a lot of extensions meant for 15" barrels that I'm aware of. +1s are typically intended for 14" barrels, while +2s are usually sized for 18/18.5" barrels. With the highly-modular Nordic extensions, you might be able to find a combination of parts that gets you where you want to be - though consider whether or not you would be comfortable with a 6061 aluminum extension tube in your application rather than steel. Otherwise, a composite single-piece extension like the Wilson Combat +2 wouldn't be too tough to shorten with the right tools, or you could have a custom tube made up for the Remington factory extension system.

Azrial
New Shotgunner

Post by Azrial » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of custom manufacturing!

But the questions remain,

1. What a is the longest Plus 1? (1.5?)
2. What is the shortest Plus 2?

Anyone know?

Azrial
New Shotgunner

Post by Azrial » Sun May 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Such a simple request, and no one knows the answer? It would seem that will all the comparisons of mag tubes that I have seen here that someone would know which was the shortest Plus 2, or longest Plus 1 (1.5?)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue May 15, 2018 4:08 am

It's not really a simple request. There are a ton of extensions made for the 870, and it's not uncommon for manufacturers to change designs or discontinue products as the years go by. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who's tried all the options that exist for the 870. I've probably played with many more kits than most, but there are still dozens (possibly even hundreds) out there that I've never seen in person, much less taken a measuring tape to.

As I said, the general rule is that +1s are designed to line up with 14" barrels, +2s are sized for 18/18.5" barrels. I can only speak with authority on extensions that I've personally worked with, but those tend to be where +1s & +2s fit in, since those are the factory barrel lengths. If you want something between the two, do some searching, look for other options, and call or email manufacturers with questions. Again, your best bet for off-the-shelf solutions would probably lie in mixing & matching parts from modular systems like the Nordic extensions. I really wouldn't hold my breath looking for pre-made extensions that match 15 - 16" barrels.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am

I'm pretty much going to echo Synchronizer. There isn't going to be much differances in +1s or +2s among the manufactors. By using an odd barrel length the only hope you are going to have is a custom made tube. You could get a Remington plus 2 and find a machinist who could shorten and rethread the tube to the length you need. I’m more than happy to measure the Vang comp +1 and +2 I have and post the oal of them if that will help you any.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Azrial
New Shotgunner

Post by Azrial » Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks Guys, but the answer is the either Vang Comp or the Nordic. I am not sure which, but one is an over-length Plus 1, that has been described as a "1 and a half." I will just call the companies and get the correct OAL of their magazine extensions.

The Wilson I was using with the 14" barrel was near flush, and with 2" shells this added length should give me one extra round. Plus I think that I will prefer the aesthetics of it.

Thanks again for trying!!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 am

Azrial wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm
Thanks Guys, but the answer is the either Vang Comp or the Nordic. I am not sure which, but one is an over-length Plus 1, that has been described as a "1 and a half."
It's not the Vang Comp; that's a very typical +1 externally. Here are a couple pictures of Banshee's TAC-14 with the VC +1:

One thing to be aware of is that internal space varies among extensions, and does not necessarily correlate to external length. For example, the S&J Hardware GenII +1 has a bit more internal space than the Wilson Combat +1, even though the Wilson Combat is slightly longer overall. And the Vang Comp +2 I found to have a very low internal-external length ratio due to how it was machined: