Greetings from Southern Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
Poacher

Greetings from Southern Ontario, Canada

Post by Poacher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:13 am

Thanks very much for the addition to this forum. I have an old 870 (approx 30yo) with a 20in bbl that I plan to convert to home defence, and plan on buying an 870 Express to try my hand at skeet shooting. I understand there are supposedly extraction issues with the newer shotguns. Where can one get a heavy duty extractor to fix this? Thanks again.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Greetings from Southern Ontario, Canada

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Howdy and welcome from South East Alaska.

Don't know about any issues. I've been using an unmodified recent-production 870 Express Synthetic for trap for the past few months and have never had a single failure to extract, even after loading all single shells right into the chamber. I'd recommend you shoot yours until you experience failures, and don't go needlessly replacing parts.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:38 am

The most common extraction problem is with really cheap shells sticking in the chamber (especially new and/or dirty chambers), and the action being tough to open after firing due to this. Obviously this isn't an issue with the extractor itself, or the action wouldn't stick shut. If your extractor is slipping off shell rims and leaving fired hulls in the chamber while the bolt opens, that would be an extractor problem. That's a much less common issue though, and when it does happen, it's usually due to damage, severe wear, or a defective part; not a problem with the extractor's actual design. Like Scorpion8 said, shoot your gun first before you try to fix anything that's probably not wrong to start with.

If you're buying a brand-new 870, make sure to clean the barrel bore & chamber before shooting it for the first time, as instructed in the manual. And if you're shooting absolute bottom-of-the-barrel ammo, don't be surprised if extraction is a bit sticky occasionally. Yank it out and keep shooting; the gun will break in and be more tolerant of crap ammo as you use it (though I would strongly advise using quality ammo for situations where you need the gun to be reliable - which goes for any firearm really).

Poacher

Post by Poacher » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks for the replies and tips! The old 870 has been rerigged to HD, and the new one is being cleaned to get ready to scare some clays when the weather clears. I figured it was probably a break-in problem, but I fthought I'd ask anyway. Thanks again.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Clean that Express before going out the first time as it will be filthy and full of shavings and burrs. Then once its reassembled rack it (with the barrel on and unloaded) 20-50 times or more if you wish to break it in a little before your first outing. Like others have said I would run a few boxes of some good ammo through it first until its a little seasoned.