Using my 870 for Trap

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Using my 870 for Trap

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38 am

Just started learning to shoot trap. I figured it would help me learn to be a decent wingshooter for grouse and ptarmigan. So far only been through 4 rounds, but am up to a 15+/- out of 25. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. The Express Synthetic is lighter than the older wood-stocked Wingmaster which may contribute a bit to the amount of recoil. Still, since only one round is loaded at a time, there's nothing to complain about. In fact, the guy next to me was shooting a high-rib K-80 un-single and I was keeping even with him. That makes ya feel good!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Using my 870 for Trap

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Well, from February when I got started to March this Sunday when I shot a 19/25 using my 870 Express Synthetic. That may not be great in some people's eyes, but I was doing cartwheels. Even the old codger who gave me my first lesson and was shooting that round with me was happy to see such improvement. Of course my second round on Sunday was much more back to earth, but even that was a 15/25. On the first round I think I jinx'ed myself as I was at 3 misses up until shots 24 & 25, and I missed them both. A 22/25 would have had me hootin' and hollerin'. So, still room for improvement, still room for consistency, but slow stead progress. Yay!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

I have been shooting these lately and they are very soft recoiling, free shipping from Academy with no minimum is hard to beat. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winch ... tid=816982
Last edited by efriedrich on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:08 pm

I used a 870 for years to shoot trap.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Shot another 19/25 and two other rounds (ahem) a bit lower. I'm finding the 870 is just fine for my skill level, and the single barrel makes pointing easy. I've added a HiVis magnetic front sight along the rib, and the big green fibre optic rod makes a great aiming point. If I can sling it to just in front of the clay when I shoot, I do pretty good. Just gotta be consistent.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16 am

Shot 3 rounds today, 18/25, 18/25 and 19/25. I've kind of plateau'ed and am looking for that next step to bump me into the 20's.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:54 am

Trigger job maybe? Or even just one of the light sear springs, which you can drop in when you're heading out to shoot clays.

Also, maybe look into doing some pattern testing. Figure out what kind of pattern your ammo/choke combination is really throwing, and see if you can experiment with loads & tubes to improve it. Get that worked out, and do some homework on flight times & leads, and I'll bet you'll see a bump in scores.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks, I actually have NOT had a chance to pattern the shotgun because of deep snow at the patterning boards at the gun club. But that will change soon. Not too sure that it would do much, because until I get all my reloading up and going, I'm using the "what's on sale" loads from the LGS. Mostly Federal Target, some Estate, some Win AA-HS, a few Remington STS, and my favorites the Remington Clay & Field. A few #7-1/2 shot loads, mostly #8 and #9 shot loads, all 1-1/8 oz. I save all the reloadable hulls, and have a bunch of Rem GC's set aside to reload, but have not been able to start reloading yet. Dang expensive hobby!

How hard is the lighter sear spring job? What's the best source for that part?

ETA: Found the lighter sear spring and ordered it. Is it pretty much just drop-in to the trigger assembly?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 am

Yeah, it takes all of 15 seconds once you have the trigger plate assembly out of the gun. I would suggest dropping the hammer (in a controlled manner) to make changing the spring easier; just make sure to re-cock it before you try to get the assembly back in the gun. It's not exactly a high-end professional trigger job, but it's cheap and easy, doesn't require anything permanent, and makes a noticeable difference in pull weight. I use the yellow spring for clays and slug shooting with my gun.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 am
Yeah, it takes all of 15 seconds once you have the trigger plate assembly out of the gun.
As always, your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life