Tac-14 thoughts

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
wonderwolf
New Shotgunner

Tac-14 thoughts

Post by wonderwolf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:14 am

Went out and ran another 50 rounds (makes for about 300 rounds now) through a Tac-14 and actually patterned it some this time and compared to my 870 riot. 15 yards seems to be about the max with the "00" buck I was running today with the Tac-14 which was S&B "00" that midway war running on clearance.

Something I've noticed about this Tac-14 example is the barrel is wavy on the inside, you can feel it even when you run a jag down it, its like it has micro rings down the length of the barrel. If it was a riot gun I would make a fuss but for a fight in a phone booth gun I wont bother.

Something I want to just toss out here is I know a lot of folks are saying this gun is best shot when raised to eye level and "aimed". I've found that #1 that is a good natural stance and can and will hurt wrists like crazy and #2 that takes an insane amount of focus, I feel like you have zero perception of NPA when using this technique. Personally (though I'm far from being a professional) shooting from the fixed hip position (firing hand planted on hip, aim with pump hand and face target) its not hard at all to put buck or slugs into a IDPA target from 15 yards or less. It just takes practice and is a technique only somebody who is more of a shooter than a golfer or weekend quarterback should utilize.

For fun I put the timer to it and even with one bobble of racking the gun I found 6 shots can be easily take in under 3 seconds. I clocked 6 at 2.06 on the first try. That is literally TONS of energy on tap with this weapon. Something to keep in mind if you're giving this little beauty the side eye. No its not a do-all gun, its a gun made for close in situations, nothing else. A world away from a .32 ACP to keep highway men at bay.

Nick Randall

Re: Tac-14 thoughts

Post by Nick Randall » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 am

I'm getting an 870P soon. I'll buy that grip and see how I like it.

The problem with the 870 is that you need so many for so many different appications. One or two for home defense, one for the truck, one for a backpack, etc.. That's a lot of money to cover all the bases.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:15 am

Thanks for the insights.

Personally, I've been working with a 20-gauge Mossberg 590 with an OAL of 26" and a 14" barrel.. With that, I've been working with a chest-high point-shooting technique, albeit now with a top rail and laser sight rather than just point shooting. The ejection port is canted upward, about six inches below my chin.

This is quite different than raising the weapon to use the bead sight, but the weapon retention seems much more solid from this stance, bladed like a boxer toward the threat. Without actual physical sights and just a beam of light, admittedly it is not optimum, and requires the tech to work... If I had the 12-gauge Tac-14 this would be my starting point, with low-recoil No. 4 or No. 1 or 00 buckshot shells. There used to be a Win-Lite 00 buck shell for instance, and there are also Italian-made six-pellet 00 buck/ 8.3mm shells in a 2-1/4" hull rather than the too-short Águila 1-3/4" "minishells" that are simply too short for the Remington 870.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 am

Nick Randall wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 am
The problem with the 870 is that you need so many for so many different appications. One or two for home defense, one for the truck, one for a backpack, etc.. That's a lot of money to cover all the bases.
Well, that's the beauty of an 870. Buy one standard receiver, then everything else - barrels, furniture, mag extensions, accessories, etc - can be purchased separately and swapped on and off depending on what you're doing. It's as close to an all-purpose shotgun as you can get.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm

If only a muzzle loading barrel was available! :geek:
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:16 am

DaveC wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm
If only a muzzle loading barrel was available! :geek:
Hastings used to make a muzzle loading barrel for the 870
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.