My first shotgun

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Nick Randall

My first shotgun

Post by Nick Randall » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 am

I've just ordered an 870P as my first shotgun. I've seen the 870P with wood furniture, and I would love to have that, but I don't think I could bring myself to remove and replace such beautiful parts. The gun is gorgeous just the way it is. What I just ordered has synthetic parts. I have no problem removing those, and throwing them in a closet, where they'll stay for the next 20 years.

I have the ATI top folding stock, so that will be the first thing to go on it, after I've shot it as is a few times, just to have an appreciation for the 'stock' stock. I don't think the ATI is ideal, so it will probably be temporary. What I really want is a Mesa stock. Possibly the hydraulic model. There are other telescoping stocks that I like too.

I also want to get a shorter barrel. It will come with a 20" barrel, but I'd like an 18". I would go with a 14", but we are restricted to a minimum length of 26" in Canada, and with a folding stock, the overall length might be too short. I also want to get a magazine extension. I also intend to buy a Surefire forend. But that will cost me $500, so it will take me a while.

If I knew the length of the receiver, I could figure out what parts I can legally put on it. I doubt that a 14" barrel and a pistol grip will be legal. Although, the Tac-14 is 26", so I don't know.

When I get the 870 to the range, and I get the ATI on it, I'll try firing it with just the pistol grip and see what that's like. I've never fired a shotgun before, so that will be a new experience. It seems like a lot of 870 configurations are just a Hollywood fantasy, and not practical at all. I mean, you might think a Tac-14 would be really cool for home defense, but then again, an experienced combat soldier who's used a shotgun in combat might also think you are a moron. Since I've never even fired a shotgun, I don't even have an educated opinion on it. It's just that it seems that a lot of what guys like is driven by TV shows and movies, and might just get you killed if you actually tried it. Like a bandolier with 100 shells on it.