Trying to Do Just About Everything with my 870

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
IG-88 A1

Trying to Do Just About Everything with my 870

Post by IG-88 A1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Good Day Everyone,

I am new to the forums as well as firearms in general. I am on somewhat of a budget. I recently purchased a Remington 870 Combo Express. Is it possible to purchase a tactical barrel for this? I would like to be able to hunt deer (rifled barrel), turkey (smooth bore), and do some non-competitive three gun (tactical barrel). I believe with these three barrels and some other modifications I will be able to do that.

My next modification will be a sidesaddle, magazine extension (for tactical fun only) and an attachment for sling.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: Trying to Do Just About Everything with my 870

Post by John A. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 am

In all fairness, you don't need 3 barrels.

Does your barrel have interchangeable (screw in) chokes now? If yes, just buy the two chokes I list below. If it's a fixed choke, then continue reading.

You don't need a rifled barrel for deer hunting with slugs either. You can use a smoothbore and most common slugs that you can buy. The only way a rifled barrel helps is at much longer distances with sabot slugs. Otherwise, popular brenneke style slugs and smooth bore will give you enough accuracy to be able to hit a deer at reasonable distances.

Since you're asking for suggestions, here's what I would do if it were me.

It may would be better for you to get this barrel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391497328800

Use this choke for slugs and buckshot (deer and tactical 3 gun): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Reming ... SwridaAi-y

and use this choke in the barrel when you're turkey hunting. They have worked very well for me in the past: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HS-Strut-Under ... SwY7pZuqQt

Then once you get the new barrel and two chokes, list your old barrel for sale and recover a lot of the money you spent to get set up for everything you need above.

My humble 2 cents.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 am

John A. just gave you the all the right answers.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 am

IG-88 A1 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm
I recently purchased a Remington 870 Combo Express. Is it possible to purchase a tactical barrel for this?
Yes, your combo model can accept any Police or Tactical barrels that are intended for standard receivers with 4-round mag tubes (which is most barrels). Adding a mag extension may require minor modifications to your mag tube, but that's not a big deal.

As John A. said, if your 870 Combo came with a smoothbore Rem Choke slug barrel, that will work pretty well for combat/defense with an appropriate choke. But if yours is a fully-rifled barrel meant only to be used with slugs, or you just want something faster, tougher, and simpler than a Rem Choke barrel with slug sights, you can get a basic 18.5" fixed-choke fighting barrel with a simple front bead for relatively cheap.

There are all kinds of options out there; as far as do-everything shotguns go, a standard 12ga 870 is pretty much the king.

IG-88 A1

Post by IG-88 A1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:01 am

Thank you for your replies. That was very helpful. The smooth bore barrel does not have an adjustable choke. I may just hawk that barrel online and order one that accepts different chokes just like you recommended. I will keep the rifled barrel, however, even though it is only necessary with sabot rounds.

I believe that getting a barrel with an adjustable choke will help. That way I can also do Turkey Season around April/May. Again, my goal is to hunt deer, maybe bigger game, skeet, trap, non-competitive three gun, turkey, and maybe some smaller birds down the road. With the right collection of interchangeable barrels and some other modifications I believe that it is achievable.

Thank you again.