Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Post by Jbur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Jbur wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 pm
Early Christmas gift from my in-laws. Elzetta mount and streamlight polytac hp light. Love it!Image
Nice! I almost bought one of those Elzetta mounts a few years back, but talked myself out of it because I didn't like how far out to the side it extended. But with the larger lens on that flashlight, it works really well.
I'm very happy with it. Turned out exactly how I planned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 am

Thinking about buying a red dot for it. I don't want anything expensive, just something to try out and see if I like it. Thinking of the Bushnell trs25.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope, 1 x 25mm, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00200E0HM/re ... rAbBCZK9C7

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm

So I got my Mesa Tactical shell carrier today. I'll get it installed later but first impressions are good. Definitely looks and feels well made. After holding the aluminum one before I was a little worried this one would feel cheap and it does not at all. ImageImageImageImageImage

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Got the shell carrier on. Really easy install. Love the way it feels. You can tell it's high quality. Shells feel like they are held in nice and firm. It came with stiffer rubber retainers though and Mesa Tactical says they'll give free replacements if they loosen up. Very happy with it. Especially for $35. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 am

Another one.Image

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 am

Looks good, but how does it feel slung across your back with the flashlight & shell carrier on the same side as the sling?

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:03 am

not good lol. I feel like i wont have across my back very often though. When i'm using the gun i'll have it either in two point or single point across my front. I figure if i have to do a lot of walking i'll carry more to my side. I tried carrying it on my back without the attachments and it still wasn't very comfortable. I like it across my front a lot better.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 am

So i was able to put about 50 rounds through it before i went to work today. I wanted to make sure the flashlight and shell carrier stayed on nice and tight and they did. Only concerning thing was out of the 50 or so rounds i shot, 2 of them locked the slide up. It was pumping fine and then all of sudden it would lock up. I would then give it a really hard rack and it would eject the round. I did some online digging and cheap bird shot ammo i guess has been known to cause the 870 to lock up like that. I'm going to clean it up and oil it tonight and run some more rounds through it tomorrow and see what it does.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 am

jbur88 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 am
Only concerning thing was out of the 50 or so rounds i shot, 2 of them locked the slide up. It was pumping fine and then all of sudden it would lock up. I would then give it a really hard rack and it would eject the round. I did some online digging and cheap bird shot ammo i guess has been known to cause the 870 to lock up like that.
Yeah, that's not unusual with steel-cup shotshells in a new gun, especially if they're the cheap promo loads. Unless you're shooting really terrible-quality ammo (2 out of 50 doesn't sound that bad), that will go away as any rough spots in the chamber wear in. Just yank them out and keep shooting, you won't hurt the gun by doing so.

What specific shells were you shooting, by the way?

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 am

I did some google searching last night and came to the same conscious. I put another box of bird shot through it today with a couple 00 buck mixed in and didn't have any issues at all. I was shooting a mix of Federal and Winchester game loads.