H&R protector Pump (Hawk)

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
John A.
Super Shotgunner

H&R protector Pump (Hawk)

Post by John A. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Just a quick topic about it.

Yesterday, my middle son had went to Walmart. Had originally planned to buy an 870, but they wouldn't sell him the display and had no clue when/if they would get any more in.

Personally, for $189, I think the gun was mismarked in price and one of the employees that worked that section had planned to buy it their self.

But is a different story I guess.

Anyway, my son "settled" for an H&R Protector pump for $149, which by all intents and purposes, looks an awful lot like an 870.

I know that Remington (Cerberus) owns both companies, which is probably why H&R is able to sell these.

The gun looks nice. Well made. Pretty heavy too. Certainly not as nice as a blued steel and wood wingmaster, but I would consider it to be the Mossberg maverick of the Remington world. (the Mossberg maverick is a similar model to the 500, and made in mexico), so that was the basis of my comparison.

The barrel of the HR protector is different than an 870 and the retaining ring is in a different place. After looking around, looks like an aluminum sleeve could easily be made that would slide over the mag tube and take up the extra space if an 870 barrel were to be used on the gun.

I'm not sure if the mag tube threads on the receiver are the same or not, but may be possible to replace the long mag tube to the shorter 870 tube and use an 870 barrel with it, would be another possibility unless the Chinese are using a metric thread or some other retarded thing that would make them incompatible.

Since it's not my gun, I haven't field stripped it alongside an 870 to see what parts will or won't interchange, but I think he'll be content with it for what it is.

I did note how difficult it was to fully load the mag tube. I mean, nearly impossible to load more than 4 rounds, despite the plug being removed.

It has loosened up some and I don't know if the cartridge stop was binding, or the follower itself or something else altogether. I was REALLY hogging on the shells to get them to load. Almost to the point that my thumb was shaking as I was pushing on them.

It seems easier now, whatever was causing it, but is something he needs to keep an eye on until he can put a bunch of shells downrange. Until then, I recommended that he keep his Winchester 1300 earmarked for HD for a while longer. He has to work through the Christmas holiday weekend and I think he has plans to put it through its' paces next week. I may be able to sneak away with him and be able to update how it went.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: H&R protector Pump (Hawk)

Post by John A. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:12 am

I helped him put an AIM Sports 6 shell side saddle for the 870 and the Magpul handguard for the 870 on it with him this evening.

Turned out real good. He's happy with it.

The magpul handguard worked fine, but did take a lot of internal filing with a half round file to get it to slide on the tube.

The Aim side saddle was even less of issue. It went on with my eyes closed.

Will be shooting it soon to check how it functions and patterns and to break it in and smooth out the action a little.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is with my old 870.

-John A.

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am

You should buy a Nordic components +1 mag extension for the h&r and a ggg follower. Use that setup with a Wolff magazine spring that's the same length as standard or use the standard mag spring and you can get a +2 on the h&r

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll tell him.

So far, it's been so cold that he's not even shot it yet.
-John A.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 am

John A. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 pm
I know that Remington (Cerberus) owns both companies, which is probably why H&R is able to sell these.
There have been knock-off versions of the 870 made long before the company's acquisition by Cerberus. I think the original patents for the 870 have long since expired.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:22 am

Yeah, and I know that Norinco has made this variant a while.

But if they're licensed to make them under the HR label, takes the edge off of it.
-John A.

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:05 pm

John A. wrote:Yeah, and I know that Norinco has made this variant a while.

But if they're licensed to make them under the HR label, takes the edge off of it.
Iac hawk 982

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 pm

alpha15 wrote:
John A. wrote:Yeah, and I know that Norinco has made this variant a while.

Iac hawk 982

Iac hawk on the bottom after mods ImageImage

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm

That looks very nice.

He has one of the pistol grip buttstocks on his Winchester 1300, but I think he's going to keep the factory stock on this one for a while.

I am seriously considering getting one of the magpul handguards to put on my Mossberg though. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did once I got it in my hands.

So much for judging a book by its' cover, eh?

If you don't mind me asking about the light, did you use an Mlok picatinny rail on the handguard to mount the light, or will the magpul handguard accept other types of mounts too?
-John A.

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm

John A. wrote:That looks very nice.

He has one of the pistol grip buttstocks on his Winchester 1300, but I think he's going to keep the factory stock on this one for a while.

I am seriously considering getting one of the magpul handguards to put on my Mossberg though. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did once I got it in my hands.

So much for judging a book by its' cover, eh?

If you don't mind me asking about the light, did you use an Mlok picatinny rail on the handguard to mount the light, or will the magpul handguard accept other types of mounts too?
I used a 3 slot mlok pic rail from magpul. I think it was the aluminum one instead of polymer one.