First Mossberg!

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: First Mossberg!

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 pm

DaveC wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 am
Thanks!By the way, the gun ran flawlessly, but boy does the exterior finish on the aluminum receiver suck! It's already as scratched up and marred as my 870 Express that I've owned since '91 or '92 without any use...!
Even so-called "hard anodizing" doesn't change the fact that aluminum is a relatively soft material. Some high-strength alloys are reasonably hard, but I don't think the alloy Mossberg uses is that high-end. Probably something inexpensive & common like a 6000-series.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 pm

I would be surprised if Mossberg were using 7075, but even 6061 isn't necessarily bad for a receiver.

A lot of guns have had 6061 receivers over the years.

From Ruger 10/22's to all sorts of shotguns and rifles. Even some real early M16's had 6061 receivers for a while.

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/6061 ... 6-Aluminum

Both 6061-T6 aluminum and 7075-T6 aluminum are aluminum alloys. Both are furnished in the T6 temper. They have a moderately high 91% of their average alloy composition in common.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 pm

6061 isn't a bad metal, especially for something non-stressed like the receiver on a 500-series Mossberg. It's perfectly sufficient from a mechanical & functional standpoint. But it is softer and weaker than higher-strength aluminum alloys or steels, which makes it more prone to cosmetic wear & tear like what DaveC describes.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 am

I have a black bicycle, and hence, a couple tubes of paint for the inevitable nicks and scrapes and so on... So who knows? Maybe if things get scruffy enough, I could dab a little on the surface?

Kinda reminds me of the "stoved" finish, i.e. enamel paint used on some WWII-vintage firearms, or for that matter, the black muffler paint used on others!

Gun works fine, but requires a lot of practice... Point shooting is great for some folks, but a learning curve for me. Interesting to me that even with four inches off the barrel, it pretty much had a similar spread of shot as an 18.5 cylinder bore barrel.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 am

To improve accuracy the next time I take it out, I'll practice the current form of holding it to use the bead, but I'll also try out basically emulating the hoary old Japanese Tanegashima teppo matchlock harquebus hold... That way if I get belted in the mouth or cheek I can blame it on my mall-ninja-fu technique being weak. :roll: :geek:

And lots more point-shooting practice!

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:23 pm

I finished the, erm, uh... "close confined spaces home defense build" on the Mossberg 590 "shuckwave" 20 gauge.
Installed a top-mounted rail with the four little screws and a bit of blue loc-tite.
Installed a big mean green laser pointer to the top of the rail, which has a projected dot that is much, much larger than the typical laser pointer.
Popped another laser pointer disguised as a 20-gauge shell, and projected both beams down the hallway that is my house to the front door from my kitchen table top.
Turned the little elevation knob and the little windage knob until the two were aligned at the "maximum" distance.

Installed a single-point sling attachment. Installed a single-point bungee sling.

Done! I like it! :twisted:

I never, ever want to reassemble a Mossberg 590 ever again.... :cry: :oops:
Maybe there is an aftermarket "third hand tool" to keep everything together while the "do not force!" trigger assembly is forced back in :?:
If I had to do it over again, I just might have gone with the tried and true Rem. 870 20-ga. now that there is a little "stakeout" strap that can be installed on the Magpul fore-end... Ah well.

As a myopic tiny home dweller, this is just the thing for home and hearth if my eyeglasses are not on or knocked askew or whatever. :geek: :idea:
Basically, I've got the retro Remington 31R whippit 20-gauge, albeit made after the patents expired by Mossberg, with the modern amenities of a laser pointer to assist training in presentation, avoiding "sweeping" myself, and an aid to "point shooting practice." And if the laser pointer does not crap out at an inopportune time, I can use the green dot to project that from a chest-high Ohio State Police-type stance while scanning the threat.

Back to the regularly scheduled Remington 870 content!