Need help with forend

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Slug3

Need help with forend

Post by Slug3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello all,

I've got a couple different 870s, and I'm teaching my young niece to use them for hunting applications.

Here's my question: is there any way to get an extra long forend that will go back as close to the trigger guard as possible? This will immensely help her when retracting and extending the slide. Otherwise, with the regular forends , it's a bit of a stretch for her arms.

I'm hoping for a forend design similar to a benelli supernova or Winchester sxp black shadow forend that comes all the way back to the trigger guard.

Appreciate any help
Regards

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: Need help with forend

Post by John A. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Don't know if Remington 870 youth handgaurds go back over the receiver a lot, but the Winchester 1300 youth stock does.

I've modded it with a 2-3/4" slide assembly with the forend. I did it to make it pump/shoot faster rather than for reach, but there is a youth stock set available for the 870's.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... %26+Forend
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Slug3

Post by Slug3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for the information. I just ordered the youth stock and forend. Hopefully that's a good fit.

Regards

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 am

Remington makes a long Express fore-end that's nice if you need as much room to hold onto as possible. It's about as long as you can get without interfering with the loading port or hitting the trigger plate. I use one of these sometimes with a pistol grip, since it lets me hold the gun further out in front of my face while aiming.

Goodgun
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Goodgun » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 am

That's the Shurshot forend..on the Remington website it is part# F306525 and it is ON SALE right now for $27.71 (35% off)!!! You can't beat that? I think that might be exactly what you and your lady are looking for..

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Gun Part Corp has 11 inch fore-end in wood also.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/590560
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Goodgun wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 am
That's the Shurshot forend..on the Remington website it is part# F306525 and it is ON SALE right now for $27.71 (35% off)!!! You can't beat that? I think that might be exactly what you and your lady are looking for..
They're really cheap and easy to find used, as well. I got mine from a bin of random parts at a military surplus store, and I don't think it was more than $10. The long fore-ends come on a lot of hunting 870s, and folks take them off all the time to install short fore-ends because they see them in movies and on police shotguns, and assume they're more "tactical" without really knowing why.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I personally don't like the long handguard because when in rearward position, prevents the mag from being loaded.

In all fairness though, it's just a different method than I was accustomed to. But I still like the magwell being open at all times regardless of the position of the bolt/forend.

But I understand wanting one for someone who can't really reach the handguard well from being a smaller stature.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm

John A. wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:02 pm
I personally don't like the long handguard because when in rearward position, prevents the mag from being loaded.
But the 870 is meant to be loaded with the action closed. When the action is open, the carrier lifts farther than the magazine since there's no bolt to stop it, and it's way harder to get a shell lined up and inserted.

A long fore-end can interfere with unloading the magazine from the bottom with the action open, which is also generally slower than doing so with the action closed, but might be required if you need to keep the action open to show that the gun is safe (range rules, perhaps). A long fore-end can also slow down change-overs depending on your technique. But notching the fore-end can address both of these special-case issues while still providing the extra space for the support hand.

pineappleshooter
New Shotgunner

Post by pineappleshooter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Slug3 wrote:Thanks for the information. I just ordered the youth stock and forend. Hopefully that's a good fit.

Regards
Have you installed them yet? Can you post some pics when you do? I am interested in a longer forend myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk