extra full choke

Do you have any questions or suggestions?
remmy870
Shotgunner

extra full choke

Post by remmy870 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

hello can some one tell me a bit more about the Remington 870 Carlson 12 g Extra full choke its on e bay for around 25$. my self I have a 870 magnum express with a improved cylinder choke . will this Carlson fit?. also what do they mean with extra full choke?. what yard /meters you get out of it?. what can you shoot?. bird shot ?. buckshot?. hope to hear more thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: extra full choke

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Carlson's makes chokes for a variety of choke systems, including the Rem Choke standard used on Remington 870s. I have several Carlson's tubes for my 870, and they've worked well for me. As long as your 870 is threaded for the standard Rem Choke tubes, and not custom-threaded for some other system, a Carlson's Rem Choke tube will fit.

An Extra Full constriction is tighter than a Full choke, and is meant to produce very tight patterns with birdshot. They're most commonly associated with turkey hunting, though they can also be useful for very long-range shots at clays or flying game. You probably shouldn't try shooting buckshot through a tube that tight, and slugs are definitely not going to play nice with it. Also not a good choice for steel or other hard nontoxic shot. Lead birdshot only, pretty much.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Re: extra full choke

Post by efriedrich » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:53 pm

I use one for #4 buckshot on coyotes, patterns nice out to around 40 yards or so and knocks dogs down real well.