Tac 14 Upgrades and accessories

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: Tac 14 Upgrades and accessories

Post by Banshee » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 pm

I cut mine down. I cut half of the amount it was over the stock spring. I dont remember what the lengh was, but if it is 6 inches longer i cut 3 inchs off. It feeds fine.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:44 am

Wingman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:16 pm
I am adding a Vang Comp plus one extension to my tac 14. The spring seems to be too long that came with the extension though ? Any idea on how long the spring should be ?
I've only had hands-on experience with the Vang Comp +2, not their +1, so I can't say for sure how long the spring needs to be. All I'll say is that the spring that came with my VC +2 kit lost a lot of stiffness during its break-in, and quickly became unreliable. Unless your spring is obviously, grossly over-length for your magazine, it may be wise to use it as-is for now, and let it break in before you try to trim it.

Also, I would really recommend placing a wave washer under the extension, or adding a clamp. The Vang Comp +2 I evaluated didn't like to stay in place under recoil, even with barrels that had a mag cap detent, and the Tac-14 barrels don't have detents.

I'll be up-front with my bias and state that I'm not a fan of the Vang Comp extensions. I would recommend the Wilson Combat +1 (I own one and like it), or S&J Hardware +1 (I have one of their +2 kits, and love it) over the VC +1 any day of the week.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:44 am
Wingman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:16 pm
I am adding a Vang Comp plus one extension to my tac 14. The spring seems to be too long that came with the extension though ? Any idea on how long the spring should be ?
I've only had hands-on experience with the Vang Comp +2, not their +1, so I can't say for sure how long the spring needs to be. All I'll say is that the spring that came with my VC +2 kit lost a lot of stiffness during its break-in, and quickly became unreliable. Unless your spring is obviously, grossly over-length for your magazine, it may be wise to use it as-is for now, and let it break in before you try to trim it.

Also, I would really recommend placing a wave washer under the extension, or adding a clamp. The Vang Comp +2 I evaluated didn't like to stay in place under recoil, even with barrels that had a mag cap detent, and the Tac-14 barrels don't have detents.

I'll be up-front with my bias and state that I'm not a fan of the Vang Comp extensions. I would recommend the Wilson Combat +1 (I own one and like it), or S&J Hardware +1 (I have one of their +2 kits, and love it) over the VC +1 any day of the week.

Synchronizor,

I have a three of The Vang extensions and have never had any trouble with them coming loose. My HD gun has a plus two extension. i will admit it hasn't had a massive number of rounds fired through it with the plus two on it, but has had enough to trust it. My SBS has a plus one and I used to use it in three gun firing countless bird, buck and slugs with no trouble coming loose.

I agree that Wilson makes VERY fine extensions and have used them in the past on other projects, but the last one I bought had the sling mount welded so it couldn't be removed. At the time I was machining my own sling mount to use HK hooks and couldn't use it, so I sent it back to Brownells and got one of the VANG units.

I just looked at Wilson site and it appears than they have a snap ring holding the sling mount. I may have to try them again.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 am

I can only report my own experiences with the Vang Comp extensions. Nothing against the company, and I'm open to the possibility that mine had some individual issues, though a lot of the stuff I didn't like was clearly inherent to the design.

My Wilson Combat +2 extension's sling plate was held on with a welded-on retaining ring, like you describe. My +1 was used, and had already had the plate removed, so I'm not sure how it was attached. Not sure how old it is, either, I've noticed it has some design differences from the newer +2. The welded-on sling plates are a bit of a bummer if you want to customize things, but I can accept that in exchange for their very budget-friendly price tag, and Wilson Combat does help make up for it by offering several variations of each extension with different sling attachment setups that you can choose from.

The S&J Hardware extensions use a sling plate system that works almost exactly like the Vang Comp sling plates, just with more refined machining to prevent binding and finish wear at the shoulder. You can even use plates meant for the Vang Comp extensions on an S&J. I consider the S&J plates to be better-designed than the stock Vang Comp plates, but it is nice that aftermarket & custom plates will fit.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am

I don't like Vang sling plates either, they are too loose, so I made my own. S&J Hardware makes great parts also,they are well made and function just as they should, but they lost me when they stopped knurling and put ball endmill slots on their extentions .
I am an old school machinist, I still believe form is just as important as function. The ballmill slots are quicker and easier than a diamond knurl, but are not as pleasing to the eye. Machinist are picky bastards and we notice things like loose fits and bad knurls.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:23 pm

See, I actually like the flutes on the newer S&J extensions. They give it a distinctive, clean look; and by my math, remove about .325 ounces of weight. Shaved weight is always a nice touch on an all-steel extension. To each their own, I guess. I'm an engineer, not a machinist.

The S&J sling plates don't really fit any better than the Vang Comp ones (that bugs me too, I'll probably end up commissioning something better-fitting for my extension), but at least they thought to add a second cut-out so that the plate can be oriented vertically.

m-forgery
Shotgunner

Post by m-forgery » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:55 am

Upgrade #1 - Wilson +1 mag tube extension. The sling plate is held on by a clip ring and a very close tolerance washer. I removed the plate easily. I used the new mag spring that came with the extension.The Wilson follower was tossed into the parts box.

Upgrade #2 - Nordic Components low drag follower. If I was to choose another follower it would be one from S&J Hardware as they are made from solid Delrin.

Upgrade #3 - Cerakote finish in Tungsten.

Upgrade #4 - Big dot Tritium sight that is epoxied over the front bead.

Upgrade #5 - Trigger group - Heavy sear and carrier dog follower springs, Police parts.

Upgrade #6 - Milled steel extractor, Police part.

Upgrade #7 - Lengthened forcing cone then polished chamber and barrel to an almost mirror finish.

That's about all I could think of.