Bake Finish Temperature Ceiling

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Donjeare
New Shotgunner

Bake Finish Temperature Ceiling

Post by Donjeare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey,

I am looking to use a hi-temp bake on finish on my 870's receiver & mag tube. It is a finish that is not original designed for use on firearms, and has a final bake temp of 600*F and says "Do not exceed the heat tolerance of the least heat tolerant part." so my question is; what is the heat tolerance of the receiver? the finish is suppose to be superior the greater the bake temp. but of course i don't want to damage my gun at all. so doesn't any one have a data sheet or info on this? I called Remington but Customer (dis)Service told me pretty much it was a trade secret, and that the feeble-minded remington customer couldn't be given any info on their 870, lest he (wrongly) expect Remington to have know what they are talking about and use (or misuse?) the information. Sorry, all that aside, I would like to do a good job re-finishing my gun. and info that could help me would be awesome.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Bake Finish Temperature Ceiling

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 pm

How far do you have the receiver stripped? What parts are still in it?

Donjeare
New Shotgunner

Post by Donjeare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 pm
How far do you have the receiver stripped? What parts are still in it?
I am striping it down to the receiver, magazine tube, mag tube retaining block, and the duel shell catches. So the barrel, stock, trigger group, mag spring & follower are all removed.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 pm

What about the ejector & ejector spring?

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Personally I would use a product designed for firearms and not take a chance on it. There are several products that cure under 300 deg.

Now, IF you decide to do it.
Where are you planning on doing this? I wouldn't use the oven in my home where I COOK MY FOOD. 600 deg will burn off any oils, make smoke and bad odors. The wife or mother WILL NOT be happy with is. Also if this is an industrial product the vapors from it may be hazardous. Not a good thing to be releasing in your home oven where you COOK YOUR FOOD.

That being said

At THIS point you may wish to make that offering to Brokkr and Eitri !!

The receiver SHOULD be ok at 600deg

The normal temp required for hardening a good quality spring steel is 1500-1650 deg. Once the spring is hardened to max hardness they are drawn back to the hardness needed for the particular job. This temp can run anywhere from 400-1200 deg

Now we have no way of known what Remington uses for their springs, but 600 deg is generally at the bottom end of tempering a spring.

Depending on the steel it may turn blue at 600deg. If the ejector spring is made for 17-7 stainless steel, 600deg will not bother it at all.

I would be more worried about the shell latches. Those things can be temperamental on a good day.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Donjeare
New Shotgunner

Post by Donjeare » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 pm
What about the ejector & ejector spring?
Oh, yes that too is staying attached

Donjeare
New Shotgunner

Post by Donjeare » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Banshee wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 pm
Personally I would use a product designed for firearms and not take a chance on it. There are several products that cure under 300 deg.

Now, IF you decide to do it.
Where are you planning on doing this? I wouldn't use the oven in my home where I COOK MY FOOD. 600 deg will burn off any oils, make smoke and bad odors. The wife or mother WILL NOT be happy with is. Also if this is an industrial product the vapors from it may be hazardous. Not a good thing to be releasing in your home oven where you COOK YOUR FOOD.

That being said

At THIS point you may wish to make that offering to Brokkr and Eitri !!

The receiver SHOULD be ok at 600deg

The normal temp required for hardening a good quality spring steel is 1500-1650 deg. Once the spring is hardened to max hardness they are drawn back to the hardness needed for the particular job. This temp can run anywhere from 400-1200 deg

Now we have no way of known what Remington uses for their springs, but 600 deg is generally at the bottom end of tempering a spring.

Depending on the steel it may turn blue at 600deg. If the ejector spring is made for 17-7 stainless steel, 600deg will not bother it at all.

I would be more worried about the shell latches. Those things can be temperamental on a good day.
Yeah I will ventilate heavily and I will be using a oven that I alone have reign of, so can won't be risking life & limb (as i hear many guys have done with their baking endeavors). i will clean it afterwards (though i doubt it could be more toxic than oven cleaner) just to be safe.

So in your opinion, if i dropped down to about 400 i would be good no matter what or how it is made?