Speedfeed Installation

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
STIGuy

Speedfeed Installation

Post by STIGuy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Having trouble installing Speedfeed Forend as the castle (forend) nut is not clearing the inside rib of the forend. Ordered the item on EBay.....it really looks like the real thing....solid and all....but I wanted to know others opinions/feedback before I get the Dremel out. Is there a thinner castle nut that I could purchase somewhere or perhaps send it off for machining? I just really want some advice on this issue. For what it's worth.....I am using a plastic Magpul supplied wrench that came in one of their forend kit boxes.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Speedfeed Installation

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 am

What rib? I've never come across a SpeedFeed fore-end with any rib in the front. Are you sure you're not trying to install it backward? There is a small piece of plastic sticking up on the back end, which is meant to go into a notch between the ends of the action bars and center the fore-end.

STIGuy

Post by STIGuy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 am

Not sure what you call the part of the Forend with the groove for the barrel. On my gun which is not taken apart like yours.....I tried it both ways (duh) but I did get it right the last time as I saw where the action bars fit into the edge of the forend. There is a slight wobble between the mag tube and the forend when it is slide on.....but I can not get the nut to clear the forend end to start the threading process. So what say you.....how much space do you have (if any) between the nut and forend? Perhaps it is defective or for a Mossberg? i guess I could get a dowel wrapped in sandpaper to try to relieve the hole? Really did not want to screw the part up as it was not exactly cheap.

STIGuy

Post by STIGuy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Could you please post a pic of the forend installed on the mag tube. Just looking at the pic......it does not look like your's will fit either.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 pm

That's not my actual fore-end, it's a web image, found in this Gunsumer Reports review. However, I have that exact fore-end, and it installs on both of my fore-end tube assemblies (one old pre-flex-tab-style, one new flex-tab-style) without any problems. The nut is a close fit in the front of the fore-end, but it slides down & threads on just fine.

Can you upload an image of this rib you're talking about? I should be able to compare it to mine, and tell you if it's a molding or manufacturing defect that you can safely remove.
STIGuy wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 am
On my gun which is not taken apart like yours...
Are you trying to install the fore-end with the gun still assembled? Fore-end tube still on the magazine tube & action bars in the receiver?