Stiff action.

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
gyro_cfi
Shotgunner

Stiff action.

Post by gyro_cfi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 pm

This 20 gauge 870 is as old as me, both of us born 1959. Was my Wingmaster as a child. Action was smooth as butter. Unfortunately my father lent it to my former brother-in-law for home protection. He was the definition of screw things up.

Added some pictures. I see that the action bars are straight and no twisting them.
There appears to be what looks like the purposeful indentation in the forearm tube. As scene circled in red above.
This seems to rub along the magazine tube. There is another where mark on the magazine tube that I can only imagine is coming from the forearm tube.
Any suggestions?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Stiff action.

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:34 am

So, how stiff is the action? Finish wear on the magazine tube is perfectly normal, and there can be a lot of bare metal on a well-used gun.

gyro_cfi
Shotgunner

Post by gyro_cfi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Synchronizor wrote:So, how stiff is the action? Finish wear on the magazine tube is perfectly normal, and there can be a lot of bare metal on a well-used gun.
Hi Synchronizor, I've discovered the stiffness is between the action bars and the receiver. I confirmed this by turning the forearm backwards and there was no friction between the magazine tube and the forearm. There looks like the action had jammed at one time and somebody forced the action open. Here is a picture of the receiver it looks like there is damage to the rail guides.
Thought the proper cure might be to add Jewelers Rouge to the action bars and just work it a few thousand times to smooth everything out. Your thoughts?
Love your YouTube channel. Thanks for all the videos. Mike

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 am

I wouldn't go dropping abrasives into the inner workings of your gun, that just sounds like a really bad idea. If you think your action bars are binding up in there somewhere, inspect the bars for wear marks that might indicate where it's happening, and the slots they ride in for debris or burrs. Check your shell latches too, they can get out of whack and bind the action bars sometimes.

gyro_cfi
Shotgunner

Post by gyro_cfi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

I'll check that tonight. Action bars just fell out when trigger assembly removed. They were also bent and difficult to keep in place during cleaning and reassembly.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 pm

gyro_cfi wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm
Action bars just fell out when trigger assembly removed. They were also bent and difficult to keep in place during cleaning and reassembly.
Do you mean the shell latches?

gyro_cfi
Shotgunner

Post by gyro_cfi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 am

Yes, shell latches.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:20 am

If your shell latches seem messed up and are falling out of the receiver, I would definitely order some new ones and get them staked in properly. That might solve your whole problem right there.

gyro_cfi
Shotgunner

Post by gyro_cfi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:54 am

Thank you sir! Mike

Trapguy
New Shotgunner

Post by Trapguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm

You might need a new or different action slide bar. It happens. Ebay or if you have another gun to try that bar on yours.
Good luck.