Rem barrel question

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
870noob
Shotgunner

Rem barrel question

Post by 870noob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:36 am

Hi all

I want to get a 18.5" barrel with bead sight (SKU# F401767), but they are out of stock... now remington dot com has the other model (SKU# F402395) which is 18" but has a front rifle sight. Does this barrel need a rear sight mounted on the receiver, or can I use it just like I use a barrel with bead sight?

Thank you

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Rem barrel question

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am

That front blade sight is taller than a front bead, and it's meant to be paired with a receiver-mounted rear sight. Used on its own, it's probably not going to line up properly with your cheek on the stock.

Plenty of 3rd-party retailers sell factory 870 barrels. Aftermarket companies like Mossberg and Carlson's also manufacture 18.5" bead-sight barrels for the 870. If you do a bit of looking, you shouldn't have any problem finding one.

12ga 18.5" 870 bead-sight barrels are available with multiple finishes, and you can get them with a variety of fixed chokes, or threaded for interchangeable choke tubes. Is there anything specific you're looking for with regard to these features?

870noob
Shotgunner

Post by 870noob » Mon May 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi thanks for your reply... I have been watching your videos and learning a lot. Thanks...
I am actually looking for the 18.5" beaded barrel with the extended ported choke tube. It is $169 on Remington website but is currently out of stock. So I was thinking of buying the other one as in the picture I posted if it will work, but unfortunately not...
Thank you

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 am

MidwayUSA has that #F401767 18.5" bead-sight, Rem Choke barrel with the breacher choke in stock currently. It's about $240 though.

Honestly, if you're just wanting a functional HD shotgun, you'd probably be a lot better off getting something like this barrel for over $100 less. The "tacti-cool" breacher choke does nothing to improve patterns (sometimes it even makes them worse). About all it does is add weight and length. If you mainly just want interchangeable choke tubes, Carlson's makes an 18.5" bead-sight Rem Choke 870 barrel that comes with a much more practical flush-fit Cylinder tube.

rottdogsparky
New Shotgunner

Post by rottdogsparky » Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 am

Wow I had no idea that the barrels are so expensive. I was trying to do the opposite, go from beaded to rifle sights but had questions about where or how to mount rear sight and the cost lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 am

rottdogsparky wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 am
I was trying to do the opposite, go from beaded to rifle sights but had questions about where or how to mount rear sight and the cost
The simplest way to add rifle sights to an 870 is to buy a barrel that has both the front and rear sights directly mounted:

These barrels can be had in a variety of lengths and styles, and unlike a setup with a receiver-mounted rear sight, this approach requires no permanent modifications, maintains zero during shooting & removal of the barrel, and lets you switch back to other barrels (like a vent-rib barrel for hunting or clays) without having a rear sight in your way.

rottdogsparky
New Shotgunner

Post by rottdogsparky » Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I like that idea! So where to start my hunt for that barrel? Gun broker? Remington?

870noob
Shotgunner

Post by 870noob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:23 am

rottdogsparky wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm
I like that idea! So where to start my hunt for that barrel? Gun broker? Remington?

Last time I checked, Remington dot com have that barrel in stock.

I now have the 18.5" Remington with the tactical choke. It fits great and functions as it should. I couldn't be any happier.

Now I am thinking of getting an extended magazine...

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:07 am

rottdogsparky wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm
What length/choke are you looking for? Do you want a smoothbore barrel or a fully-rifled one for slug hunting?