Most Recommended Stock and Sights for Home Defense Rem 870 Tac?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
MustangFanatic22

Most Recommended Stock and Sights for Home Defense Rem 870 Tac?

Post by MustangFanatic22 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:09 am

I know this will surely be a repeat but a some of the posts and best suggestions I feel are possibly outdated. I would like to know what setup's all of you have/have had that you feel is the most long term reliable and effective for it's purpose(Especially stock). Also use for recreational from time to time obviously and some fun setups for that? Lastly, just the most current stocks that came out that people have actually shot with? First time buyer now that I have a family, so get your jokes in now. :D Let's have fun with this the more brains the better!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Most Recommended Stock and Sights for Home Defense Rem 870 Tac?

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:56 am

Personally, I've always advocated for the simple, traditional semi-grip stock for HD. Either wood (real hardwood or laminate are both fine), or one of the heavier plastic stocks such as the SpeedFeeds (the lighter hollow plastic stocks shoot perfectly fine, but aren't great as blunt weapons, and less mass means more recoil). These stocks are very maneuverable, affordable, extremely durable, and utterly simple. You can get them in a variety of lengths; pick the length that the smallest potential defender in the family can handle comfortably, as larger folks can generally handle a shorter-than-ideal stock much better than a smaller person can handle a longer-than-ideal stock. Make sure it has a good recoil pad, and the gun will be perfectly manageable so long as you don't go all Tim Taylor with your ammo selection.

There are plenty of slick sales pitches out there for fancy stocks that are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but remember that back in WW1, Americans wielding these in close quarters were so effective that the folks on the receiving end tried to claim that their use was a war crime:

MustangFanatic22

Post by MustangFanatic22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 am

Well played..Most especially the Tim Taylor one liner LOLOL

Really though I appreciate the suggestion I've noticed most opinions as far as accessories go are extremely biased.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 am

I'm starting to agree with the keepmit simple theme. Altough I'm very experienced with most firearms, I'm fairly new to shotguns. Originally I wanted all the fancy add ons simply because they look cool. But now I'm trying to build up my 870 with just a few needed upgrades rather than accessories. I too wanted the fancy pistol grip stocks. But I ended up with a traditional stock made by Hogue, but is made a little heavier and has a reall great shape along with its overmolded rubber design.
Really makes a big difference for short money.

MustangFanatic22

Post by MustangFanatic22 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 am

Bourget117 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 am
I'm starting to agree with the keepmit simple theme. Altough I'm very experienced with most firearms, I'm fairly new to shotguns. Originally I wanted all the fancy add ons simply because they look cool. But now I'm trying to build up my 870 with just a few needed upgrades rather than accessories. I too wanted the fancy pistol grip stocks. But I ended up with a traditional stock made by Hogue, but is made a little heavier and has a reall great shape along with its overmolded rubber design.
Really makes a big difference for short money.
I know the feel. My roomate has more than 30 firearms now and I have the 870 tac. He has a standard 870 with the wooden stock. Mine is heavier in the front end but his feels so smooth and not much 5 rounds can do that 8 rounds are necessary to be honest. Especially for home defense.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I like Hogue overmolded stock and forend, they are very simple and inexpensive: http://www.rem870.com/2012/11/12/5-best ... ngton-870/

http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun