S&J type 3

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

S&J type 3

Post by Bourget117 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Has anyone tried the S&J type 3 follower in an extended magazine? I've heard a few stories that the type 1 and 2 followers have the tail that can take up space in the magazine tube. Also I've heard there can be some jamming. I was thinking that with the cup shaped type 3 followe, those things would be eliminated because it's shaped similar to the factory follower but stronger and better made.

Photogg4eva
Shotgunner

Re: S&J type 3

Post by Photogg4eva » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 pm

I've seriously thought about getting the S&J type 3 follower. It does look stronger and a little better made than the original manufacture follower. I was hoping to find some comments on the follower from folks that have already used it. I would guess for the $18-20 that you can get them online, it wouldn't be that much of a setback. Each of us probably shoot that in shells when we go out to the range anyway.
Stay safe out there
— Photogg4eva

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

I agree. Not much money but I'd like some more input before buying.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am

I've yet to evaluate the Type 3 followers, but if they're made with the same quality as the Type 1 & 2, I'm sure they're excellent parts.

Cup-style followers are more space-efficient than tailed followers, but they don't play nice with some magazine springs, since there's a limit to how wide the spring can be and still fit neatly into the cup. What magazine extension kit are you looking to pair this with?.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am
I've yet to evaluate the Type 3 followers, but if they're made with the same quality as the Type 1 & 2, I'm sure they're excellent parts.

Cup-style followers are more space-efficient than tailed followers, but they don't play nice with some magazine springs, since there's a limit to how wide the spring can be and still fit neatly into the cup. What magazine extension kit are you looking to pair this with?.
I was gonna pair this with the stock +2 Remington extension that came with my Marine Magnum. The type 3 looks the closest to my stock Rem follower. And I don't want to give up any ammo capacity.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:20 am

Follower travel in the factory +2 & +3 extensions is ultimately limited by the follower stop, so the style of follower isn't really important, it's the body length (though the spring may hit its solid length before a solid-bodied follower reaches that far).

Anyway, I expect the Type 3 follower should work fine in a factory +2. The springs in those are narrow, intended for use with cup-style followers. Just make sure you're not crushing the spring past its solid length when the follower is up against the follower stop. You may need to trim a couple coils off to avoid this if the Marine Magnum version of the extension spring is the same length as the other factory extension springs. Compare the depth of the S&J's cup to that of the factory follower. If it's the same or deeper, you shouldn't need to do anything to the spring.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 am

I recently got ahold of an S&J Type 3 (thanks Scott!), and threw it together with my factory Remington +2 extension. I haven't fired this combo yet, but I have thrown various function tests at it, and it seems to be a really nice follower for the factory 2-piece extensions. Virtually no resistance at the joint, and it even gives you a tad more capacity than the slightly longer factory follower. The cup's got a fairly narrow inner diameter, so it's not a great fit for some magazine springs, but the factory extension springs are also pretty narrow, so the two play well together.

The S&J Type 3 has the same body geometry as the Type 2 tailed follower, so maximum capacity in the Remington extensions is going to be the same, but since the Type 3 is a cup-style design, it leaves more space for the spring at full compression. I can push a tailed Type 2 all the way to the extension's follower stop, but there's some resistance and binding as the spring reaches full compression well before the follower reaches the follower stop, and becomes over-compressed for that last bit of travel. With the Type 3, it's smooth sailing pretty much all the way to the follower stop. There is some variance between springs, and you may find you still need to take a couple coils off for smooth travel with the Type 3, but it'll be a lot less drastic than what you'd need to do for the Type 2.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 am
I recently got ahold of an S&J Type 3 (thanks Scott!), and threw it together with my factory Remington +2 extension. I haven't fired this combo yet, but I have thrown various function tests at it, and it seems to be a really nice follower for the factory 2-piece extensions. Virtually no resistance at the joint, and it even gives you a tad more capacity than the slightly longer factory follower. The cup's got a fairly narrow inner diameter, so it's not a great fit for some magazine springs, but the factory extension springs are also pretty narrow, so the two play well together.

The S&J Type 3 has the same body geometry as the Type 2 tailed follower, so maximum capacity in the Remington extensions is going to be the same, but since the Type 3 is a cup-style design, it leaves more space for the spring at full compression. I can push a tailed Type 2 all the way to the extension's follower stop, but there's some resistance and binding as the spring reaches full compression well before the follower reaches the follower stop, and becomes over-compressed for that last bit of travel. With the Type 3, it's smooth sailing pretty much all the way to the follower stop. There is some variance between springs, and you may find you still need to take a couple coils off for smooth travel with the Type 3, but it'll be a lot less drastic than what you'd need to do for the Type 2.
Thanks for letting me and others know about this. I had a feeling by camparing pics of the factory and type 3 follower that there was a good possibility of it working with a factory extension. I think haveing a plated marine magnum spring and extension would make it function even smoother since the nickel is very slick. I feel better about ordering the type 3 now that you've had a chance to try it out. But like you said if there ends up being any problems, a little bit of spring trimming should do the trick.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah, once you install it, load the magazine all the way to its maximum capacity, pushing that last shell in part-way to get the follower all the way to the stop. If it travels all the way there smoothly, you're good to go. If you feel a lot of resistance near the end and sort of a "crunching" sound & feel, then you're hitting the spring's solid length, and over-compressing it. Snip a few coils off one end of the spring, re-assemble the magazine (you shouldn't need the bracket for this) with the cut end of the spring toward the muzzle, then check the follower's travel again. Repeat as necessary.

If you're not sure where you're hitting the follower stop, assemble the magazine without the spring, and remember or mark how far you can get that last shell in.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Just wondering. Are there any coupon codes or discounts for forum members here looking to purchase from S&J?