Marine Magnum Youth Stock

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
sodapopsixtysix
Shotgunner

Marine Magnum Youth Stock

Post by sodapopsixtysix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 am

So I wanted a shorter LOP on my Marine Magnum but I wanted to maintain a classic Remington look. I decided on the Remington Synthetic Youth Stock to go from the original 14" LOP to 13". I like the feel of the shorter stock but It could probably be about a 1/2" shorter.

One thing that I didn't care for was the Limbsaver recoil pad that came with it. To be honest, it's actually the look of the pad that I really dislike. The other thing is that it is really soft and feels like it would tear off if it hung up in the field.

I liked the look of my old Police Magnum's Vented Pad so I found one to match. It's Remington part# F28231. Since I now have a youth stock I needed to grind it to fit. Because the youth stock is basically a chopped off version of the standard stock the mounting holes still line up.

It came out OK but I could use some more practice with the belt sander. I didn't have any special jigs or tools so I mounted it on the stock and used it as a guide. I taped it up before sanding but unfortunately managed to run through the tape in a few small spots. Overall the blemishes are not too noticeable.

If I had to do it all over again I think I would have done it a little differently. If you like the classic look of the Remington synthetic stock but want a 13" LOP I think the Speedfeed Youth stock and pad is the quickest way to go.

At least I can brag that mine's a little more "custom".

ORIGINAL STOCK AND YOUTH STOCK AND PAD
YOUTH STOCK WITH VENTED PAD

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Re: Marine Magnum Youth Stock

Post by hector.jacob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:25 pm

nice upgrade ,

have you you shot it ? how does it feel with the youth stock ?

sodapopsixtysix
Shotgunner

Post by sodapopsixtysix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Haven't shot it yet but I should get it out next month. It feels pretty good but I think about a half inch shorter would have been perfect

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm

sodapopsixtysix wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm
Haven't shot it yet but I should get it out next month. It feels pretty good but I think about a half inch shorter would have been perfect

Did you not like the Supercell pad because of function or how it looked? I have one on mine and only tried it once. I didn't think it was that great as far as reducing recoil. And I was using low recoil Remington 00 buck. I'm gonna be putting on the Hogue stock I just bought and will see how that pad compares.

sodapopsixtysix
Shotgunner

Post by sodapopsixtysix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 am

Bourget117 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm
sodapopsixtysix wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Did you not like the Supercell pad because of function or how it looked? I have one on mine and only tried it once. I didn't think it was that great as far as reducing recoil. And I was using low recoil Remington 00 buck. I'm gonna be putting on the Hogue stock I just bought and will see how that pad compares.
I never fired it with the Supercell pad so I can't speak for it's function. I also can't speak for the feel of the Limbsaver. I don't mind the look of the Supercell. The shape or look of the Limbsaver was one of the things I didn't care for.

I have fired my 870P with the Remington vented pad with everything up to 3" magnum slugs and it's not as bad as one would think. It may have more to do with the wood furniture on the police, though. I have an 870 Express Synthetic with a hard rubber pad and it definitely has more felt recoil. I'm hoping the vented pad on the synthetic youth stock will feel a little lighter.

The Supercell shares one characteristic with the Limbsaver that came on the youth stock that I don't like, in that it feels so soft I think it could tear or rip in the field. Also, the Supercell could not be made to fit the youth stock so I never considered keeping it.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm wondering if the stock itself makes a difference in recoil. My Remington tactical stock that came with my Marine Magnum was very thin and hollow sounding. Very light weight as well. My Hougue is a little more thicker and a lot more solid around the grip. The speedfeed stock seems to be like this as well.