Remington 870 Restoration

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Vitaly
Owner

Re: Remington 870 Restoration

Post by Vitaly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:40 am

RainMan_JH wrote:She is beautiful that is for sure. I must say though my favorite line in that whole article was:
Note: It is vital to ensure that your wife is out for the day before attempting this, otherwise you risk unwelcome side effects.
I immediately asked my wife about her thoughts on me using the oven to bake a shotgun. Her responding look absolutely confirmed your note! :lol:
:lol:
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Apparently the gas BBQ was far enough outside of the 'domain' that it was allowed :lol: Hope it's the same for you!

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:19 am

Think the most questions i've had about this project were about the stock of all things. The grip cap came with the 1187 stock that i bought from Remington:

1187 Stock 12Ga Claro Walnut-Laser Checkering
REMG PRT2271
$56.00

The glossy 'bowling ball' varnish they put on them is tough stuff, sure... but I prefer an oiled finish myself. Sanded the stock back to bare wood (this takes a while, found doing a bit, leaving it, then coming back to it, repeat... the best way). Once all the varnish is off, keep moving to a finer grade of sand paper. I went all the way up into the emery paper/wet&dry paper (the black stuff), with linseed oil to stop the paper clogging up. The more time you take smoothing, the better she'll look, so don't get bored and rush it.

When you think she's smooth enough, lashings of Boiled Linseed Oil. Rub it in hard with your hands to get the wood nice and hot. Keep doing this, initially every time you take her out, to build up the oil in the wood. Pretty soon she'll only need the occasional oil to keep her looking good.