870 Tactical Express Synthetic 7-Shot Spring upgrade question

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
kamakaz1961
New Shotgunner

870 Tactical Express Synthetic 7-Shot Spring upgrade question

Post by kamakaz1961 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:46 pm

1st off This forum Rocks with all 870 information. Synchronizer and Remington 870 have been awesome in helping me upgrade my 870. I have followed pretty much everything you guys have said with the exception of the aluminum side saddles. I like the velcro type as I do not want to modify the pins as I feel the stocks are best suited for the 870; but I digress. I have the 2 dimples in my tube and I am getting a stainless steel or aluminum follower with the cuts so I do not have to modify the dimples. My question is, what would be the type of spring to get for it? A wolf Spring, Scattergun Tech Spring or the Remington Supermagnum Spring. I do not want an extension as it already holds 6-rounds and that is sufficient for me. Is there a spring that people here use that you guys would recommend? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

CJ

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 Tactical Express Synthetic 7-Shot Spring upgrade question

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 am

There are a number of good springs out there; it's not hard to find one that'll serve reliably, especially if you don't use your shotgun very heavily. There are two key things to keep in mind, though.

First, you want the right level of force. Too little force, and you can get partial-feed and no-feed malfunctions. However, you have to try really hard to see these problems. So long as you get a good spring meant for your magazine capacity or higher, these malfunctions shouldn't show up unless you're specifically trying to induce them. A spring so weak as to cause them during normal operation should feel obviously underpowered when you're installing & using it (spring retainer takes almost no effort to push into place, or the first shell slips into the magazine with negligible resistance). A more common problem, in my experience, is a spring that's too powerful. Some folks will buy a spring that's total overkill for their magazine capacity, and cram it in unaltered, assuming that stronger is always better. An overly-stiff spring will stiffen the action, reduce magazine capacity, make loading more difficult, and beat up the shells and follower - all without adding anything to reliability. It can also deform shells that are stored in the magazine for extended periods of time, and those deformed shells can then jam the gun when you try to use it. It's fine to buy a spring that's longer than necessary if you want its features, but you should trim it to a more appropriate length. I would say shoot for about 1 - 2 pounds of force when the magazine is empty. This is easy enough to work out with some math and a scale, but you can also just take off a little at a time, and keep checking as you go until you get it where you want it. Remember, you can always take more coils off of a spring, but you can't add them back on, so take your time.

The second thing to keep in mind is the shape of the spring, and whether or not it will work well with your follower & spring retainer. Magazine springs vary in diameter, some are wider, some are narrower, and some are narrow at the ends and wide in the middle. The wrong spring may not play well with your retainer and follower, which can lead to hang-ups or sluggish movement of the follower. Make sure that the spring you buy is narrow enough to fit easily into your spring retainer, and your follower as well, if it's a cup-style one. If the follower you buy is a solid-bodied design with a tail, you'll want a spring that's wide enough to fit over the tail, but not so wide that the end coils can reach the wall of the magazine tube, or else they may wedge between the tube and the follower.

Reaper
Active Shotgunner

Post by Reaper » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:31 pm

I would stick with a polymer follower vs the steel, aluminum variety IMHO. Good ones are S&J, Wilson Combat, even the old Choate orange has worked well for me.

Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Unless you are having issues with the stock one, why replace it? Not trying to sound like a wise guy, didn't know this was considered an upgrade.

Usmc1963
New Shotgunner

Post by Usmc1963 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 pm

I think I have the same 870 as you have. My 6 round magazine ends about an inch or so behind the end of my barrel. I just added the Wolff 6-7 round spring with a S&J follower. I have a picture posted under HelloFrom South Carolina, new member link
Frank

MJMSxr

Post by MJMSxr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 pm

I am adding an extension to my 870 express and the follower I purchased won't fit due to the dimples. Do the dimples mean I have an older or newer 870? Any information is appreciated.

Also, what followers would you guys recommend for an 870 with dimples in the mag tube?

Thank you!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:56 am

Dimples would indicate a newer gun, though not necessarily all that new. What's the letter or letters at the beginning of the serial number?

Among aftermarket followers, I like the S&J Hardware followers the best. They offer both tailed & cup-style followers, and they have cut-outs to clear magazine tube dimples. However, if you're adding an extension, you'll need to remove those dimples anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

MJMSxr

Post by MJMSxr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:25 pm

@synchronizor, do you have a video or suggest on how to remove the dimples?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:49 am

From what I've seen & heard, drilling them out seems to be the easiest, cheapest, and least risky method. I don't have a video on that yet, but there's a brief article on the blog that gives the general idea.

devstringx

Post by devstringx » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:44 am

Remington 870 be converted to the magazine
There are even aftermarket adaptor kits that can convert an 870 into a box magazine feeder. While the detachable magazine shotgun may not be a new concept, it is fairly significant for Remington to offer such a thing. The 870 is seen by many people as the gold standard in pump shotguns.

Remington 870 tactical hold
Seven
Available: 870 Express Synthetic Tactical – Seven-Round Capacity – Weatherproof matte-black synthetic stock. 18.5" barrel with fixed-cylinder-bore choke and single-bead front sight. The magazine holds six 2-3/4" or five 3" shells and one in the chamber for seven-shot capacity.

Total an 870 hold
Police models are available with 18" or 20" barrels, with or without rifle sights, and have a standard capacity of four rounds. They can be ordered with a two or three round extended magazine tube from the factory, bringing total capacity to 6+1 (18" barrel) or 7+1 (20" barrel).

Remington 870 DM
The strongest, smoothest pump shotgun in history, now in detachable magazine-fed offerings. Delivers the fastest response time of any pump shotgun in history.

Remington 870 Super Mag
Suitable for a variety of applications, the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun has a vent-rib barrel and a steel-milled receiver. The exterior metal is coated with a nonglare matte finish. It's also paired with a standard trigger, a single bead sight, and cross-bolt safety.

Is a Remington 870 a good gun?
Today, the Remington Model 870 is considered the best selling shotgun in history. The success of this gun has a lot to do with its reliability and sturdy design. The 870 has a solid steel receiver, while most other pump-action shotguns have alloy receivers. That translates to lasting durability.

Remington 870 V/S Mossberg 500
The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are both very accurate pump-action shotguns. Mossberg 500 has a 6th magazine tube. Remington 870 also has a 4th magazine tube. The Remington 870 has a lighter factory trigger pull than the Mossberg 500 but there are replacements for that.

Remington 870 V/S 870 Express
The only real difference between the two shotguns is their cosmetic look and some of the internal parts. The Remington 870 Express contains synthetic fore-ends and stocks made of laminated wood. The Remington 870 Wingmaster will obviously be more expensive since it is made with walnut and polished metal surfaces.

Remington 870 Express V/S Magnum
Everything made for the last 20+ years has had 3" chambers and are usually referred to as magnums. They will easily shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells. The Wingmasters are better finished and have walnut stocks. The Express versions have a matte finish on the metal and either stained hardwood stocks or synthetic stocks.

Custom Application Services Noida | Hire India Angularjs Facilities

I hope you really like and understood this information!
Thanks & Regards
Devstringx Technologies
Last edited by devstringx on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.