Mesa tactical Leo adapter hurts my hand

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Summer870

Mesa tactical Leo adapter hurts my hand

Post by Summer870 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:16 am

Hi, im new here. i couldnt find any posts with the same issues im having with my shotgun.

i just installed some parts and went out this weekend to shoot my 870 tactical. i installed the Mesa tactical Leo adapter, crosshair recoil reducing buffer, magpul CTR stock with limbsaver pad, and standard AR15 grip.

the crosshair recoil reducing buffer and magpul stock works great, my shoulder doesnt hurt at all. But the web between my thumb and index finger hurts so much when shooting. so i pretty much eliminated the problem with the recoil to my shoulder, but now i cant stand the pain in my hand from shooting. i wondering if anyone else is having this issue with a similar setup with this kit. and what can i do to eliminate this issue? it doesnt seem like a different grip will help at all.

my hand didnt hurt with the 7 1/2 shot. but my hand hurts so bad when i shot the 00 buck shot.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Mesa tactical Leo adapter hurts my hand

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:14 am

I've heard of folks having your same issue with similar recoil-reducing stock setups. The problem with slapping a recoil-reducing buffer tube on an otherwise-normal AR grip/tube adapter is that only the stock is isolated from the recoil impulse.

As you've discovered, the grip itself is still rigidly connected to the shotgun's receiver, and the hand holding the grip is still subjected to the unmitigated recoil impulse. In the case of an AR-style pistol grip, the palmar meat at the base of the thumb and/or the web space between the thumb and index finger is usually what the grip is braced against, and thus those areas are what tend to take the brunt of that blow. Depending on your technique, this can be even more uncomfortable than shooting with a fixed stock & pistol grip because the suspended stock no longer provides a rigid brace to absorb some of the force and reduce the gun's movement relative to the shooter's body.

Other recoil-reducing stocks for the 870 suspend both the butt and the pistol grip from the gun's receiver. This cushions both the shoulder and shooting hand, but it's a more complex system, and can still lead to uncomfortable shooting due to how the system behaves as recoil energy is stored and then released in the springs.

It's all pretty subjective, really. Some folks find that one or even both of these recoil-reducing systems are very pleasant to shoot with, and some folks just can't shoot comfortably with either.
Summer870 wrote:what can i do to eliminate this issue? it doesnt seem like a different grip will help at all.
I actually think a different grip could be something worth trying. Switching from a "standard AR15 grip" (I'm guessing A2-style?) to something with a softer surface and a shape that better fills your hand may help distribute the kick across your entire palm, rather than concentrating all the force into one small area. I'd also take a look at your technique; specifically the way you're holding the pistol grip, and how you have your arm braced as you pull the trigger. Adjustments in these areas should help to reduce pressure points, and allow your hand & arm to move with the recoil to help absorb the blow.

Or, you could replace the recoil-reducing buffer tube with a standard one, and just use the techniques that have been working for shotgunners for hundreds of years. I use fixed stocks with my 870, and with a good recoil pad and a proper stance and hold, I can shoot all day and feel just fine afterward.
Summer870 wrote:my hand didnt hurt with the 7 1/2 shot. but my hand hurts so bad when i shot the 00 buck shot.
Size of the shot doesn't really play into recoil (nor does gauge, for that matter); it's the total mass and speed of what leaves the barrel that determines recoil. If you duplicate the mass and velocity of your buckshot load with birdshot or a slug, you'll have essentially the same recoil to deal with.

Summer870

Post by Summer870 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:25 pm

thanks for replying.

i installed a new grip. the stark SE-1, and it helped out alot. my hand doesnt hurt anymore. i went through 25 rds of 00 buck without hurting my hand at all. i didnt think a grip will make much difference, but it really did. i hope this info helps others as well. i love this new grip. it is not as angled as a standard AR15 grip.

my98hawk
New Shotgunner

Re: New guy, question, thanks ahead of time.

Post by my98hawk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:37 am

Try pulling slightly aft with your trigger hand. This is completely the opposite of what you learn for accuracy but it might take some of the hit off that part of your hand. Essentially using the pistol grip to pull the gun into your shoulder. Ive never experienced this problem but I'm trying to put myself in that situation. Sniper accuracy isnt exactly required fkr a shotgun with buckshot up close.

I assume this post was meant for this thread, so I moved it. Let me know if you intended otherwise.
-Synchronizor

Dougee

Post by Dougee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Summer870 wrote:thanks for replying.

i installed a new grip. the stark SE-1, and it helped out alot. my hand doesnt hurt anymore. i went through 25 rds of 00 buck without hurting my hand at all. i didnt think a grip will make much difference, but it really did. i hope this info helps others as well. i love this new grip. it is not as angled as a standard AR15 grip.

Can you explain or show pictures on how to install the Stark SE-1 Grip on the Leo Adapter Please???

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:42 am

If it's like most AR grips, it should simply connect with a 1/4" screw accessed through the grip's bottom.

Dougee

Post by Dougee » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:03 pm

It kinda looks like the Beaver Tail part might need ground/cut off a little compared to the grip that comes with the Leo Adapter Stocks!!

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Dougee,
Was just out looking for the SE-1 Stark’s Pistol Grip and could only locate the ones with the Trigger Guard built in !
Is there more to the Model Number ?

Thks
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !

jdinny
Shotgunner

Post by jdinny » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 am

I picked up an ATI AR-15 x2 Scorpion Recoil Pistol grip and modified it to fit my Mesa LEO.
It is quite soft, and has a much better grip angle for your hand. Much more comfortable.
Attachments
IMG_1461.jpg
IMG_1461.jpg (191.45 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg (163.07 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1459.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
870 Express Magpul | Mesa LEO | Scattergun Tech +1 | Scattergun Tech safety| Mesa sidesaddle | Inforce MIL | Bushnell TRS-25 | Magpul MS4 sling
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:44 pm

jdinny,
Great idea and work.
Thinking on it, cost wise this could get expensive quickly !
Thks for the pictures and ideas.
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !