1960 Wingmaster magnum needs new barrel.

MARKO65
New Shotgunner

1960 Wingmaster magnum needs new barrel.

Post by MARKO65 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm

I stopped in my LGS yesterday and saw and purchased a 1960 (as per a call to Remington ) 870 wing master magnum 12 gauge for $225 blues is pretty bad and the wood is decent its going to be used and not babied so no worries about he bluing that i can fix myself. It currently wears a 28 inch vented barrel not threaded for chokes and most of the bluing is gone and the vent rib wobbles a bit between thumb and forefinger. I want to replace/update the barrel with a new 30 inch vent rib but not sure what i need for Skeet/Trap/Sporting here is a link to a new barrel at Midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160155 ... e-vent-rib is this what i need? Its a magnum receiver so i can shoot 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells.... please give me your input and links to a new barrel. Thanks in advance also i think i did ok at $225?

Marko

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 1960 Wingmaster magnum needs new barrel.

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 am

Which game are you going to be shooting in, skeet, trap, or sporting clays? A 30" barrel should work well for trap, but I imagine it might be overly long for skeet. I shoot trap (non-competitively so far) with a 28" barrel. I've tried using that barrel at skeet as well. I was able to break both clays in doubles skeet, but hauling that heavy barrel back around after the first shot felt a bit like trying to take a tight corner in an old Buick.

Just my thoughts. Bear in mind that I've only really tried skeet a couple times. Usually when I head to the local shotgun club, it's for trap.

MARKO65
New Shotgunner

Post by MARKO65 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Sporting clays and Trap.... is the link i posted the right barrel? Also thanks for your reply.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:06 am

Either of those barrels will fit your receiver, though if they're newer Express barrels, they might not have detents in the guide rings to keep the magazine cap from backing off. If that's the case, you could have a detent added by a gunsmith, or simply put a wave washer under your magazine cap.