Cleaned my gun today, found small unidentifiable pin

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
gravitywell

Cleaned my gun today, found small unidentifiable pin

Post by gravitywell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I've had my remington 870 for a little over a month. After shooting, I did a basic clean and lube of just the barrel. After shooting tonight, I disassembled it to clean it a bit more. When I removed the forend and the breech bolt, a small pin appeared on the floor beneath me. I'm not 100% sure it came from the shotgun, but I don't want to take chances. The pin is about 3mm long, it has a broad head, a broader middle section, and then a thinner pin bottom. The thinner part is minorly longer than the other two sections, the other two sections are about the same size (by eye guesstimation).

I've scoured the net for breech bolt assembly instructions, but I don't see anything, anywhere that resembles this pin. I can send you pics via email or cell phone, if my poor description isn't good enough.

Thank you guys, for everything. Until I find this answer, I guess the rem870 isn't getting use.

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Cleaned my gun today, found small unidentifiable pin

Post by PRegner » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:57 pm

That looks like it may be the detent pin that holds the magazine end cap, and keeps it from unscrewing. It probably came out of the round lug on the barrel that the magazine tube passes through. You should start looking around for the spring as well.
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

gravitywell

Post by gravitywell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:54 pm

You, my new best friend, saved me a trip to the gunsmith and probably a big bill. Lol. The spring was still in-place, as soon as i took off the magazine cap, I saw the screw nestled away. I reinserted the pin, turned it tight, and back together she went.

Thank you very much sir.

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm happy to be of help. :)
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

rdsmith3
Shotgunner

Post by rdsmith3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm

That same thing fell out of mine. I have not replaced it yet.