Barrel length?

csiress2
New Shotgunner

Barrel length?

Post by csiress2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:12 am

I'm new to skeet/trap and have a couple questions:
I have noticed that a lot of the barrel lengths are 28" or 30", is there a big difference between the two?
What are the pros and cons of each?
As a beginner, should I look for a specific length?
Thanks for the help.

Craig II

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Barrel length?

Post by jpfrog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Typically, the longer barrel makes it easier to aim...similar to handguns. It also makes it easier to swing smoothly due to the added length and weight. Barrel length is personal preference though- I have a 26" on one 870, and a 28" on the other, although I kinda wish it were a 26" for hunting or a 30" for range use...28" is an in-between size for me and can actually be a good compromise if the gun will be dual purpose. I have a 26" on my Benelli Vinci that I use for ducks, and a 28" on my Beretta Over/Under that I use for dove and quail as well as clay targets during non-hunting seasons.

Many factors come into play, such as the size of the reciever. For me, due to the size of the receiver, I prefer a 26" to 28" on a pump or semi-automatic, especially if it's a hunting gun. For range use, I'd probably go 28" to 30". Because the receivers are smaller, I like a longer barrel on my over/under and got a 28", although a 30" or 32" wouldn't be out of the question if they were designated range guns.

The best way I've found to figure out what I like is to go to a big store like Cabelas or Bass Pro and shoulder as many types as you can to figure out what feels good...borrowing or renting one at a range would be even better if you have that option available to you.

Clear as mud?

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 am

Yep, my trap guns have 34" unsingle barrel and 32" o/u barrels. My doubles gun has 30" barrels. My skeet and sporting gun has 30" barrels. You get a little more velocity from the longer tube (~25 fps), but the real benefit is it moves the blast farther away from you, has more weight to help keep you swinging, and gives a longer sight plane.

When using a semi or pump the action length adds 5" or so to the overall length, so you can get the longer sight plane even when using a shorter barrel, compared to o/u guns. Remington did make 34" 870 trap barrels at one time.

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 am

Hntbambi wrote:Remington did make 34" 870 trap barrels at one time.
They did...and if you can find one for sale you'll spend a very pretty penny to buy it! I've seen some go for the price of picking up two used 870 Express complete guns...

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RainMan_JH » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 am

For what its worth I use my 870 express for trap and skeet exclusively. Mine is the 28 inch vent rib and I have done a few upgrades and have more planned. I of course lust over some very nice over under guns but for the time being the 870 is what the bank will allow. I can say I really enjoy using and upgrading it. Also all of the lost birds are not the guns fault as much as I hate to admit it lol.