What's your EDC?

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

What's your EDC?

Post by Carlo1137 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm

My EDC

Sig p239 in 9mm
Flash light STL-100c
Fox knifes Karambit
Casio G-shock

BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: What's your EDC?

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 am

Here's what I tend to have on my belt and in my pockets on an average day:
EDC_Small.JPG
On a related note; I'm a big fan of Batman...
EDC_Small.JPG (128.43 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
The pistol is a Kel-Tec PF9, I carry it loaded with Cor-Bon 9x19 +P 115gr JHPs; one in the chamber, 7 in the short mag, 8 in the extended mag.
The big knife is an Ontario M9, and isn't usually in the sheath if I'm carrying the handgun on my belt. If I'm carrying concealed (pocket or IWB), or in a "gun-free" zone, the M9 goes where the holster is; that sheath is a custom piece I made that can be mounted vertically or horizontally. I'll also switch out the M9 with a smaller hunting knife in some situations.
Apart from the Leatherman, the rest of the kit is mostly generic, but it gets the job done. The whole thing is surprisingly low-key and comfortable, especially when it's under a coat or shirt.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Synchronizor wrote:Here's what I tend to have on my belt and in my pockets on an average day:
EDC_Small.JPG
The pistol is a Kel-Tec PF9, I carry it loaded with Cor-Bon 9x19 +P 115gr JHPs; one in the chamber, 7 in the short mag, 8 in the extended mag.
The big knife is an Ontario M9, and isn't usually in the sheath if I'm carrying the handgun on my belt. If I'm carrying concealed (pocket or IWB), or in a "gun-free" zone, the M9 goes where the holster is; that sheath is a custom piece I made that can be mounted vertically or horizontally. I'll also switch out the M9 with a smaller hunting knife in some situations.
Apart from the Leatherman, the rest of the kit is mostly generic, but it gets the job done. The whole thing is surprisingly low-key and comfortable, especially when it's under a coat or shirt.
You know what they say, great minds think a like lol.. I also use Cor-Bon 9x19 +P 115gr JHPs; and +1 in the chamber. Now that is a big knife! :shock: I don't know if its allowed or not to carry a fix blade knife concealed lol. I do have a phone, I just thought that was a given. Now for the million dollar question, how much does the whole rig you carry weigh?

Oh yeah, I also forgot that this is part of what have on me as well when I go out everyday, I don't know if it counts but its a quick deploy para-cord bracelet I made.

Last edited by Carlo1137 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 am

Carlo1137 wrote:You know what they say, great minds think a like lol.. I also use Cor-Bon 9x19 +P 115gr JHPs; and +1 in the chamber.
It's not cheap stuff (it's actually more expensive than my .357 SIG carry ammo, which is pretty wacky), but it's got high velocity, a lot of muzzle energy, and a great record with LE.
Carlo1137 wrote:Now that is a big knife! I don't know if its allowed or not to carry a fix blade knife concealed lol.
Here in Idaho, state laws leave it up to individual universities whether or not they want to allow campus carry. Mine doesn't unfortunately, but since it's Idaho, no one cares if you've got a knife on your belt, even one this size.
Carlo1137 wrote:Now for the million dollar question, how much does the whole rig you carry weigh?
It's just under 3 lbs for the belt and all the tools and gizmos. The loaded pistol and spare magazine adds about 1.5 lbs, and the knife adds about a pound. I usually only carry both the knife on my back and gun on my belt when I'm hiking in the woods or something. Otherwise it's one or the other, or the knife on the belt and the gun inside the waistband or in my pocket. So, the whole thing doesn't usually top 4-4.5 lbs, and the way it's distributed, it's actually quite comfortable and unobtrusive under a shirt or coat.

I have thought it would be handy to also stash some para-cord in my utility belt somewhere. I'll have to look into that.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 am

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of everything I carry. But here is what I carry.

My pocket knife is a sogzilla 4.25in. I have a little fenix ld10 100 lumin flashlight pretty much all the time. I also have another small light and knife on my keys. For the pistol it is either my ruger lcr 357 or kahr cm9. Just depends on what i'm wearing. I also have a parachord bracelet and a little wallet multi tool. When I'm working I have another flashlight I use for work and a box cutter knife too.

Kahr cm9

Ruger lcr 357

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 am

Nice guns ponycarman. How dose that Ruger kick? I was thinking of buying one of those, but never got around to buying it. I do want to get the new sig p938 and also the new p227 (like the p220 but its double stack 45 acp.) I won't carry the p227 but I do carry my p220 from time to time but its a beast to carry. For a 5'5 tall person (me) its like trying to fit a metal plate on my hip lol.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 am

What ammo do you carry, Ponycarman? That tip looks like Hornady, but what's the specific load?

That looks like .357 Mag with the revolver (love those stripper clips, by the way); how's the control-ability and muzzle velocity with such a short barrel?

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

The ammo is hornady critical defense in both pistols. I also like the speed strips they are very thin and do well in my pocket. I'm not sure on the muzzle velocity. I would have to check the manufacturer specs. The pistol definately lets you know its there. But it isn't too bad and is very controllable. The polymer grip helps some and there is a very squishy rubber insert under the grip at the backstrap. It helps cushion and absorb the recoil. The trigger is marvelous. It is by far the best double action trigger I have ever felt on a revolver. Its very smooth, light, and consistent. Its very easy to hit the target at defense ranges.

I will admit that my groups open up just a little with full power 357 loads, but not enough to make a difference. The recoil kinda surprises you at first but it is very manageable. I really need to get out and practice some more with each pistol but work has been keeping me very occupied lol.

The sights were a little hard to see so I did this a couple months ago.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

ponycarman wrote:I'm not sure on the muzzle velocity. I would have to check the manufacturer specs.
I was referring to how the .357 Mag has issues in really short snubbies (probably shorter than yours, but I can't really tell), since it doesn't have time to burn all its powder, and the bullet won't always stabilize properly. If you look at muzzle velocity and energy graphs with respect to barrel length, that cartridge starts to tank once the barrel length gets below 2" or so (depending on the specific load).

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

This pistol has an 1 7/8 barrel. I researched that issue before I purchased it. Even with the short barrel the 357 loads were faster than any +p loadings. I haven't heard of any stabilization problems. I still think the 357 version is worth the extra money. For the extra $50 you get a steel frame instead of aluminum. It adds about 3oz of weight. And you get the ability to uses an extra caliber.