Where To Download Free Maps And Topo Maps For Garmin Gps?

Talk about everything not related to Remington 870
Sidney
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Where To Download Free Maps And Topo Maps For Garmin Gps?

Post by Sidney » Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 pm

just purchased a used Garmin model: Venturer Etrex HC handheld GPS, year: 2007 for the woods and the color map is like that from a Commodore Vic 20 (out dated) when I Google Image this model of GPS I find that there are maps like Google Maps and topo maps. I am not an expert on GPS's I tried Googling but I got no where.

Where can I download FREE color maps or color topo maps for Dartmouth/Halifax area of Nova Scotia for this GPS?, it has USB connector. I surf the net on a desktop computer running Linux Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS and am using Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2 (64 bit) for Ubuntu Canonical-1.0.

I can go to any public library and use Microsoft Windows 10 or so operating system and Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

Thank you in advance for help/replies.

Scorpion8
Addict Shotgunner

Re: Where To Download Free Maps And Topo Maps For Garmin Gps?

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:57 pm

In my experience they phase out maps for certain devices after awhile. The thinking is if the device is old, the maps must be out-of-date. I had that issue with a chartplotter on a boat I had bought, and the most recent map "chip" (SD card) was of charts several years old, and none newer was available. First off I'd figure out if you can upload new maps. Check with Garmin tech support. The resolution on a 2007 device may not support much better map imagery. You might be better off downloading screen images off Google Earth onto a modern tablet and using those.
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Leila12325
New Shotgunner

Re: Where To Download Free Maps And Topo Maps For Garmin Gps?

Post by Leila12325 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:06 pm

thank you my friend