Shotgun type

12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Shotgun type

Post by 12GAfun » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:29 am

I was wondering could one shoot trap or skeet with this shotgun? (see pics )
I have shot trap before but not in a really long time since I was like 13-15yrs of age. I have a local range that does Trap and skeet and would love to get involved next season but not sure if there is a shotgun type that is needed, when I was younger I used a semi auto style Remington cannot remember the model. I have at this time have a pump and its really not the traditional Trap shot gun that I have seen at the range. Thanks for all your information on this subject.
Attachments
021.JPG
021.JPG (243.93 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (250.09 KiB) Viewed 5351 times

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Shotgun type

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:26 pm

You can certainly shoot skeet or trap with an 870. I use my 870 for trap, and so do the folks I go shooting with. Over/unders or semi-autos tend to be the choice for serious competition, but a pump gun works just as well as anything else for singles, and it'll even do the job on doubles if you know how to handle it. First time I ever shot doubles skeet was with my 870, and I was able to work the pump fast enough to snag that second clay. Plus, it's always fun to bring out a pump-action and out-shoot someone with a $2000 competition rig.

Just pick up an appropriate vent-rib barrel & choke, maybe a magazine cap so you're not swinging around an extension for no reason, and you'll probably want to remove that top rail. You may get some odd looks with your tacti-cool furniture, but if that's what you're accustomed to, go with it.

jacobthegunguy
New Shotgunner

Re: Shotgun type

Post by jacobthegunguy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:06 pm

if you bought the gun with wood stock i would recommend putting those on