S and J follower shipping.

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

grahng
Shotgunner

S and J follower shipping.

Post by grahng » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Is it true that shipping for a follower is the same price as the item?
Really??????????????

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: S and J follower shipping.

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:41 pm

International shipping.

Check Ebay; there are often S&J followers posted there for the same price, but free shipping.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Yep thats why I haven't ordered one myself lol. Ebay does have one of their follower styles but I haven't seen the bright green one on there rescently. Unfortunately thats the one I want haha.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm

If you're after the Type 2-style follower, and not just the color;
you can modify a Type 1 follower in just a few minutes with a drill bit. That's what I did to mine, I actually wanted the orange color instead of the green.
IMG_0710_cropped.JPG
IMG_0710_cropped.JPG (77.35 KiB) Viewed 7968 times

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Thats not to bad at all. The stock photo kinda makes it look more red than orange. I'm wanting the type 2. It looks like it would be easier to feel if it is empty. Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:14 am

It depends on the lighting. I'd still call it orange, but it ranges from just slightly darker than the stock 870 plastic followers indoors (warm fluorescent lighting) to more reddish in overcast daylight. Whatever you want to call it, it's very bright and dead easy to see.

The Type 2 might be easier to feel, depending on how you're feeling for it and whether or not you're wearing gloves, but I'd place that under individual preference. I had no issues at all feeling the Type 1; I grew to dislike it because the post had a tendency to crack open the crimps on my HD shells over time and repeated loading/unloading. It wasn't much, but it was enough for the buffering to trickle out and make a mess inside the receiver.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 am

Orange or red it still stands out nicely in your pic. Thanks for the info. I don't think I would like that stuff dumping into my shotgun either haha. Didn't you have the remington +2 extension? How has the function been with the extension?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 am

ponycarman wrote:Didn't you have the remington +2 extension? How has the function been with the extension?
I use both the +2 and +3 Remington extensions, but they're essentially the same thing. I haven't had any issues that I'd blame the follower for, just hang-ups at the joint when the extension wasn't installed correctly, which can happen with any follower. Also, since the Remington extensions have a built-in follower stop, there's no loss in capacity by replacing the cup-style factory follower with the solid S&J part (though this may change if you're using an aftermarket magazine spring with a longer solid length).

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Excellent, I'm just using the spring that came with the my +2. I got my bolt in about a week ago. Now I need the slide and the upgrade will be comple. I believe the follower is the only other thing I would like to upgrade. Maybe a light of some type but I have no idea yet. I like how simple it is. More ammo would be a good upgrade haha and shoot it more :)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:06 pm

New-style slide assemblies are easy to find; but have you tried using the new bolt and shell carrier with your old slide assembly? The updated breach bolt has additional material milled out of its underside at the front end, presumably to allow it to move over the rim of a jammed shell without hanging up; and the new carrier incorporates the flex-tab itself, obviously.

Looking at the old and new slide assemblies side-by-side however, what differences there are seem to be either allowances for interchangeability with left-handed 870 models (which I believe were introduced around the same time as the flex-tab update), or very minor refinements intended to improve function or ease take-down and reassembly. Nothing on the new part really jumps out at me as something that would influence the ability of the action to cycle with a shell on the carrier unless the centrally-placed attachment points interrupt the plane of the bottom face far more drastically than the pictures you took suggest. As long as that plane is uninterrupted, the contours of the underside and front bottom edge - which are the areas that interact with a jammed shell - appear to be effectively unchanged.
Slide1_Circles_Text_B.PNG
Slide1_Circles_Text_B.PNG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 7951 times
Slide2_Circles_Text.PNG
Slide2_Circles_Text.PNG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7951 times
I would be very interested to find out how well the flex-tab bolt and carrier are able to handle a jammed shell with the old-style slide assembly.