S&J Hardware Mossberg short follower in an 870?

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

S&J Hardware Mossberg short follower in an 870?

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:36 am

I've made no secret of the fact that I think the S&J Hardware followers are the best on the market due to their high-end material, coloring, and design. However, the solid design of the 870 followers can reduce magazine capacity very slightly in some configurations.

Recently, S&J came out with a cup-style Delrin follower for Mossberg shotguns:
Has anyone tried one of these in an 870? If they're the right diameter, they could be a nice option for someone looking to wring every last millimeter of space out of an 870 magazine without a follower stop.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: S&J Hardware Mossberg short follower in an 870?

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 12:37 am

Update on this: a while back, I tried to email S&J about this (as well as other questions for a video I want to do), but couldn't get a straight answer from them.

However, S&J just added a Remington version of these followers to their online store: No jam type 3 mag follower 12ga. The page says these are a different size than the Mossberg ones, though the picture they show is exactly the same.

Mossberg:

Remington:

If they start offering these in orange, I might be interested.

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Re: S&J Hardware Mossberg short follower in an 870?

Post by badboybeeson » Thu May 16, 2013 1:40 pm

we how have 2 types of short followers.
the mossberg, which at this tiem we are only doing in green
And the type 3 remington short follower.
Mossberg follower is .900 to .903 and the remington is .908 to .910

The reason for the short remington follower is, we have a bunch of 8 to 10 inch 870 copies up here made by Hawk from PRC and of course the follower is crap, but the gun has the new style remington retainer.
if you remove that and install a police style/ wingmaster ball bearing dedent and a new short follower you can get an extra round in the mag tube :D

As well, as much as we know the followers with the tail on the back is a better idea, many customers still ask us for a cup style follower, so we made them!!

The mossberg follower is mainily for our 590a1 +2 which only just about has enough room to get the 2nd round in so we need a short follower