870 tube extension

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

David
New Shotgunner

870 tube extension

Post by David » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:51 am

I have a Remington 870 tactical 6+1 I bought at Bass Pro,I was wondering can I add 1 more with a tube extension or do they even make a add 1 tube extension... Please let me know .... :?:

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 tube extension

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:31 am

Is this one of the nonstandard Express Tacticals with the single-piece 6-round magazine tube?

David
New Shotgunner

Post by David » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:54 am

Synchronizor wrote:Is this one of the nonstandard Express Tacticals with the single-piece 6-round magazine tube?

Yes it looks just like that.....

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Yes, you can add a +1 extension to that gun. You can even add a +2 or +3, though it'll make the gun longer. A typical +1 magazine extension will fit on a 6-round long-mag Express Tactical without extending too far past the muzzle, so you get an extra round without any real increase in overall length.

For the +1 extension, I'd recommend a kit from Wilson Combat. They don't cost much, but are made well and come with a wave washer that'll help keep it secure on your gun, since your barrel won't have a locking detent in its guide ring. You also get several different sling attachment options to choose from. The only problem is that the +1 kit's magazine spring will be sized for a 5-round tube (standard 4-round plus one in the extension), and not a 7-round tube. If you think your current magazine spring might be too weak with the extension installed, you may want to pick up one of Wilson Combat's +2 extension springs in addition to the +1 kit. That spring is better-suited for the mag tube length you'll have with a +1 extension on a 6-round base mag tube.

Also, all the long-mag 870s use the new-style internal-ratchet cap retention system, with a plastic spring retainer that locks into dimples stamped in the end of the magazine tube. You'll need to remove these dimples (by drilling, pressing, or grinding) in order to maximize capacity with a magazine extension.

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Post by badboybeeson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 pm

yes very correct, you will have to remove the dedents to use a +1 MAG
thanks for thepost and info sny