New Look to our mag tubes

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

New Look to our mag tubes

Post by badboybeeson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:09 pm

As I have posted on our facebook page, we have changed the look of our mag tubes a little as well as a few other things relating to how we make them, all in a move to be able to get the products made quicker without lowereing the quality
this is the look we are going with now
Attachments
new_sjhardware_mag_tubes.jpg
new_sjhardware_mag_tubes.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 5433 times

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: New Look to our mag tubes

Post by Banshee » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm

No offense, but I like the old style better
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

badboybeeson

Post by badboybeeson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Banshee wrote:No offense, but I like the old style better
no problem, some do, we had to do something different as others were starting to copy our products again...
its a lot easyer to get on and off and the knurling gets chewed up easyer.
bbb

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 pm

I kind of like the new look, the grooved base is more distinctive then the old knurling. It matches the styling of some of your other products, and looks like it could save a little weight as well. As long as the grip you can get on it for installation and removal is the same as or better than the old style, I'm all for it. I'd probably be interested in a low-profile magazine cap in the same style, actually.

But I especially hope this new design will let you offer your extensions at a more competitive price. I like what I've seen/heard about your extensions in terms of quality, design, and functionality, but the price has always been a bit of an issue. Other manufacturers offer functionally similar single-piece +1 and +2 extensions for a lot less than your original extensions. They won't take a bayonet, and they're not solid machined steel like yours are (my WC +1 extension was clearly composed of at least three distinct components welded/soldered/brazed together), but they're still pretty solid, and they get the job done.

You've had your MK II +1 extensions on your website for a while now, and they're priced much more competitively. If the new design lets you do the same with your +2 and +3 extensions, that'd be a big plus.

badboybeeson

Post by badboybeeson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 am

Synchronizor wrote:I kind of like the new look, the grooved base is more distinctive then the old knurling. It matches the styling of some of your other products, and looks like it could save a little weight as well. As long as the grip you can get on it for installation and removal is the same as or better than the old style, I'm all for it. I'd probably be interested in a low-profile magazine cap in the same style, actually.

But I especially hope this new design will let you offer your extensions at a more competitive price. I like what I've seen/heard about your extensions in terms of quality, design, and functionality, but the price has always been a bit of an issue. Other manufacturers offer functionally similar single-piece +1 and +2 extensions for a lot less than your original extensions. They won't take a bayonet, and they're not solid machined steel like yours are (my WC +1 extension was clearly composed of at least three distinct components welded/soldered/brazed together), but they're still pretty solid, and they get the job done.

You've had your MK II +1 extensions on your website for a while now, and they're priced much more competitively. If the new design lets you do the same with your +2 and +3 extensions, that'd be a big plus.
yes the new mag tubes as the same size .125 inc at the threading area and .995-1.0 on the length of the mag then the step down if that model is long enough for the bayonet.
The idea with these new gen is too off them at a better price then before, with out "making them" cheaper.

what we are aiming for is
+1 around the $55 mark inc 2 position sling plate and new spring.
+2 Mossberg around the $75 mark inc slign plate and spring 4.5 inch aprox
+2 for the rest of the guns we make them for 7.25 inch aprox $85
+3 aprox 9 inch $100

The key to this is to get more dealers In the US on board, we ship over 100 items a week to the US, we try to direct customers to the few US dealers we have but most want to buy more items then the US dealers stock.

These are also CDN prices so right now that 10% cheaper in US funds.
bbb

badboybeeson

Post by badboybeeson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:05 am

badboybeeson wrote:
Synchronizor wrote:I kind of like the new look, the grooved base is more distinctive then the old knurling. It matches the styling of some of your other products, and looks like it could save a little weight as well. As long as the grip you can get on it for installation and removal is the same as or better than the old style, I'm all for it. I'd probably be interested in a low-profile magazine cap in the same style, actually.

yes the new mag tubes as the same size .125 inc at the threading area and .995-1.0 on the length of the mag then the step down if that model is long enough for the bayonet.
The idea with these new gen is too off them at a better price then before, with out "making them" cheaper.

what we are aiming for is
+1 around the $55 mark inc 2 position sling plate and new spring.
+2 Mossberg around the $75 mark inc slign plate and spring 4.5 inch aprox
+2 for the rest of the guns we make them for 7.25 inch aprox $85
+3 aprox 9 inch $100

The key to this is to get more dealers In the US on board, we ship over 100 items a week to the US, we try to direct customers to the few US dealers we have but most want to buy more items then the US dealers stock.

These are also CDN prices so right now that 10% cheaper in US funds.

The Mk2 +1 for the Remington has been out a while, we has a contract to fill for a police agency so that was the boost we needed to get new equipment in.
bbb

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 pm

badboybeeson wrote:+2 for the rest of the guns we make them for 7.25 inch aprox $85
+3 aprox 9 inch $100
Are those the overall lengths of the extensions? That would make the +2 extension line up with the muzzle of a 19" barrel, and the +3 with a 20.75" barrel. Seems kind of long, the Remington +2 extensions are longer than most because they use the +3 spring and a follower stop, but even they're only about 6.75" long (lining up with an 18.5" barrel).

badboybeeson

Post by badboybeeson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:19 am

Synchronizor wrote:
badboybeeson wrote:+2 for the rest of the guns we make them for 7.25 inch aprox $85
+3 aprox 9 inch $100
Are those the overall lengths of the extensions? That would make the +2 extension line up with the muzzle of a 19" barrel, and the +3 with a 20.75" barrel. Seems kind of long, the Remington +2 extensions are longer than most because they use the +3 spring and a follower stop, but even they're only about 6.75" long (lining up with an 18.5" barrel).
yes I,m just throwing out aprox numbers
Remington
+2 fits flush with the 18.5 inch 870 12ga
+1 fits flush with 14 inch bbl
+2 Mossberg 590a1 fits flush with 18.5 inch M590 a1
As you pointed out ,most the mag tubes don't need to be as long as they are, but are that length so they fit fluch or as close to flush as possible with the muzzle.
Myself I cant stand it when the mag tube is just short or just long for no reason.
In our case many of our +2 mag tubes are that length so they can work with our bayonet mounting system.
bbb