Changing barrels

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Mcmar
Shotgunner

Changing barrels

Post by Mcmar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 am

I recently bought a 870 18" 20 gauge with the 2 shot extention and tactical stock. First, can the barrel be tapped to be able to use chokes? Secondly, is there a 24" barrel that can be used with this gun?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Changing barrels

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Mcmar wrote:First, can the barrel be tapped to be able to use chokes?
Yes, a gunsmith with the right tools can tap any barrel for choke tubes, as long as it has a large enough outer diameter.
Mcmar wrote:Secondly, is there a 24" barrel that can be used with this gun?
Remington doesn't make a 24" barrel for the 20ga. There might be an aftermarket barrel, but there are a lot more 12ga aftermarket barrels out there than 20ga ones. Remington does make a 26" 20ga barrel, if that's close enough. If you really want a 24", you'll probably have to cut a longer one down.

Mcmar
Shotgunner

Post by Mcmar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:31 am

I appreciate the feedback. It's been 40 years since I last picked up a shotgun. And I have no idea if my gun is capable of being tapped for a choke. I guess I will have to find a gunsmith to answer that.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:40 am

Your gun is an 870, so there should be no problems having it threaded for choke tubes unless you're running some really sketchy aftermarket barrel. The minimum outer diameter is more something to worry about with antique shotguns, or very lightweight double barrels (and even then, there are alternative thin-wall interchangeable choke systems, and ways of reinforcing extremely thin barrels). 870 barrels are built nice and strong, even the lighter-contour ones. The outer diameters of factory-threaded barrels and fixed-choke ones are the same.