870 Retainer - Do I need to use it?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Bloodstriker
New Shotgunner

Post by Bloodstriker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 am

I am wondering if the spring retainer for the 870 is required to use the shotgun? I used a dremel to file the dimples away to install my mag extension, but after doing it, I realized that the brackets were not included with the box. Remington has asked that I return the package and all of its contents for me to get a complete replacement instead of simply shipping the missing parts to me. With that said, I can no longer use the old retainer since the dimples are now gone.

The replacement will take approximately 2 months, which really sucks since I've got a few scheduled trap games coming up.

My questions:

Do I have to have a spring retainer for the shotgun to function properly?

Does anybody know what the part number is for the older style spring retainer (the one that can be used with tubes without dimples).

Are there any other parts I will need to get my shotgun working without the extension installed?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Re: 870 Retainer - Do I need to use it?

Post by MStarmer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 am

Bloodstriker wrote:I am wondering if the spring retainer for the 870 is required to use the shotgun? I used a dremel to file the dimples away to install my mag extension, but after doing it, I realized that the brackets were not included with the box. Remington has asked that I return the package and all of its contents for me to get a complete replacement instead of simply shipping the missing parts to me. With that said, I can no longer use the old retainer since the dimples are now gone.

The replacement will take approximately 2 months, which really sucks since I've got a few scheduled trap games coming up.

My questions:

Does anybody know what the part number is for the older style spring retainer (the one that can be used with tubes without dimples).

Are there any other parts I will need to get my shotgun working without the extension installed?
You don't mention what model you have?

No you do not need a retainer for the shotgun to function properly, just use caution when removing the cap.

You can use a wave washer in lieu of the retainer if your barrel does not have the ball detent.

There are other brands of extensions out there, Nordic, Wilson Combat, Vang Comp etc..

More info will get you more help, and welcome to the forum.

Bloodstriker
New Shotgunner

Post by Bloodstriker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 am

MStarmer wrote:
Bloodstriker wrote:I am wondering if the spring retainer for the 870 is required to use the shotgun? I used a dremel to file the dimples away to install my mag extension, but after doing it, I realized that the brackets were not included with the box. Remington has asked that I return the package and all of its contents for me to get a complete replacement instead of simply shipping the missing parts to me. With that said, I can no longer use the old retainer since the dimples are now gone.

My questions:

You don't mention what model you have?

No you do not need a retainer for the shotgun to function properly, just use caution when removing the cap.

You can use a wave washer in lieu of the retainer if your barrel does not have the ball detent.

There are other brands of extensions out there, Nordic, Wilson Combat, Vang Comp etc..

More info will get you more help, and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the welcome!

I have an Express 870 synthetic.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the function of the retainer? It looks like the spring stays in place regardless?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 am

If your barrel has a ball detent then you are good to go, just put it back together minus the spring retainer. None of the extensions use a retainer, it's just convenient to not have the spring flying out.

You may want to check with AI&P tactical as he may have stock extension assy's for sale or Wilson Combat. http://www.aiptactical.com

Bloodstriker
New Shotgunner

Post by Bloodstriker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 am

MStarmer wrote:If your barrel has a ball detent then you are good to go, just put it back together minus the spring retainer. None of the extensions use a retainer, it's just convenient to not have the spring flying out.

You may want to check with AI&P tactical as he may have stock extension assy's for sale or Wilson Combat. http://www.aiptactical.com
I don't think I have that ball detent but I'll double check when I get home. Does that help prevent the cap from unscrewing itself? If I don't have that, I'm guessing its still usable?

Thanks for the link. I'm in Canada though and can't get part up from the States.

Bloodstriker
New Shotgunner

Post by Bloodstriker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:04 am

Okay, so there's no ball detent. Here's a pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370926976.310209.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370926976.310209.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 8401 times
What I did was simply drop the retainer in and then screwed the cap on. I played around with the follow and the resistance seems about right.

I guess I am good to go?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm

You can check out this other thread that we went over the same questions a bit.
http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=869

Also here's a link to the wave washer at Brownell's, you'll have to look but I don't see why they wouldn't ship to Canada, or you should be able to get it from Remington.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 23974.aspx

Bloodstriker
New Shotgunner

Post by Bloodstriker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll see if they ship to Canada.

I guess the retainer would be useful in keeping the spring from flying out if I'm switching barrels often.

If I'm not mistaken, is there an older style for the 870 that doesn't require detents?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142767 ... auge-metal

Is that what I would need?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 am

Yep, that's the one. PITA to take in and out. I leave mine out on my one 4shot.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 am

Sorry, I've been away for the past several days. To answer your original questions:
Bloodstriker wrote:Do I have to have a spring retainer for the shotgun to function properly?
No. The new-style plastic spring retainers provide a ratcheting mechanism to help prevent the magazine cap from working loose; but other than that, the retainers just hold the magazine spring in the tube when the cap's off. They have no effect on the gun's function.
Bloodstriker wrote:Does anybody know what the part number is for the older style spring retainer (the one that can be used with tubes without dimples).
The 12ga metal spring retainer is P/N F91657, and is $3.40 from Remington. I wouldn't recommend ordering one, though. It's a royal pain to press in and pull out, and since the new-style cap retention system won't work without the plastic retainer and the dimples in the magazine tube for it to lock into, it's simply not necessary.
Bloodstriker wrote:Are there any other parts I will need to get my shotgun working without the extension installed?
No, you have all the parts you need.

My 870 came from the factory with an extension installed, and so doesn't have dimples in the magazine tube. For builds without an extension, I just use an old magazine follower to ensure that the end of the spring doesn't hang up on the inside of the cap. You can see a video of the setup here.

I've run the gun with nothing between the cap and spring, without ever having a problem, but I use an Uncle Mike's cap with a smooth inside end:
UM 870 cap inner.JPG
UM 870 cap inner.JPG (51.21 KiB) Viewed 8374 times
In your case, since your cap has the teeth inside, you probably want to have something between them and the spring to avoid snagging the spring as you tighten the cap. A factory follower like I use would be best, but if you don't have a spare one of those lying around, just use your old retainer instead. Stick it on the end of the spring, push it into the tube with the cap, then tighten it down as hard as you can by hand. It won't work as well to keep the cap tight without the dimples to lock into, but it'll still hold the end of the spring. Just tighten the magazine cap down good and snug, and check it between rounds to make sure it's still tight.