Slide assembly question

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
johnxmccoy

Slide assembly question

Post by johnxmccoy » Sun May 05, 2013 1:01 pm

I just purchased a Wingmaster for $200.00 including tax from a local pawn shop.
Took it apart to refinish the wood, it turned out pretty good considering what it looked like.
After putting it back together the slide assembly is very stiff when you pump the action.
Not as smooth as before, I took the trigger assembly out and I can see where one of the rails does not stay snug next to the receiver.
Could I have bent the slide bars and need to replase that part?

Also, any other info regarding the Wingmaster would be appreciated.
John.
Go easy 1st post.

B+Shooter

Re: Slide assembly question

Post by B+Shooter » Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm new here too, but I got a used 870 that had a problem that may relate to yours. Before I bought it, a local guy who claims to be a gunsmith had tried to put the slide assembly back without pushing the shell latches out of the way. It bent the left shell latch and caused malfunctions. Check your shell latches when you're putting this back together, also check your timing cuts (the two little ramps on the slide arms) and see if there is marring/damage there.

GunnerGSP
Shotgunner

Post by GunnerGSP » Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Sounds similar to my issue here...

http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=840

johnxmccoy

Post by johnxmccoy » Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 pm

I saw your topic,
Mine does it without the trigger assembly in there and out.
I notice when I slide it back the arms spread away from the receiver on the inside.
I think I bent the arms trying to get the foregrip off. I am going to try and find a new assembly and try that.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

Before you buy a new tube assembly, I'd double-check and make sure it's not hanging up on your shell latches like B+Shooter mentioned. You may have the action bars inserted wrong, or your shell latches could be damaged. You should probably figure out exactly what the problem is before you spend money on parts.

If you can upload some pictures, we may be able to help.

johnxmccoy

Post by johnxmccoy » Mon May 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Yep! I need a new tube assembly. Took it to a gunsmith and he confirmed it, I bent it pretty good.
Now I am looking for an old style tube assembly.
Does anybody know where to find one?
Most on line stuff is for the new style.
Thanks.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

I doubt you'll find them in any condition but used. Remington has been using the updated flex-tab action parts in 870s since the mid-80s (and holy nuts, when did the mid-80s get to be 30 years ago?).

The only issue you'll run into trying to use a new-style fore-end tube assembly in an older gun is your slide assembly won't have the right cut-outs to engage the action bars. All the older parts in your gun will function as well as they ever did as long as you also install a new slide assembly.

I'd give Remington's customer service line a ring. Don't quote me on this, but they might throw in a new slide assembly if you order a new fore-end tube assembly. The following is an excerpt from their parts price list:

F102324 V-28 870 FORE END TUBE ASSEM N/S 12 GA (FOR PRE-1984 GUNS INCLUDE SLIDE F401023) $ 34.00

Again, I don't know if the new slide's complimentary, or if they charge you the extra twenty bucks for it, but it's probably worth a couple minutes on the phone to find out.