Extractor hitting barrel, will not go into battery

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
reeps
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Extractor hitting barrel, will not go into battery

Post by reeps » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:32 pm

I have a magpul sga stock as well, but for under the bed I keep the birdshead. The angle of it does no damage to the wrist like normal PGO's.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Post by JBall » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I've never ran that style but I see how it is more inline with the bore rather than closer to a right angle like most other pistol grips. I see how that could be a benefit on the wrist when combating recoil. I could see how combining this with a good reverse pressure on the Forend to also help tame recoil could result in a better shooting experience than most other pistol grips. Still, I'm not sure it would mitigate enough recoil that I would be comfortable putting it even a foot away from my face. So more power to ya! By the way I'm a HUGE fan of the SGA Stock!

Baby Gary

Post by Baby Gary » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 am

I've decided to use 2-3/4" shells with #4 shot (turkey loads). If I ever need to fire this gun in defense it will undoubtedly be at very close range, firing from the hip. I've watched videos on utube of shooters firing one of these holding it only by the pistol grip with their right arm almost fully extended. I need both arms just to hold the gun horizontal. The photo is the extractor hitting the barrel. Gun goes in for repair this week.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4770 times
Don't start none & there won't be none...

reeps
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by reeps » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 am

Check these out if you are worried about recoil with a PGO. They do wonders. Im not sure if you can get a raptor yet. http://www.amazon.com/Speedfeed-Remingt ... 14-6495438

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=529

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Baby Gary wrote:I've decided to use 2-3/4" shells with #4 shot (turkey loads). If I ever need to fire this gun in defense it will undoubtedly be at very close range, firing from the hip.
You might want to rethink turkey loads for HD. They'll do more damage than something like #7 target loads, but #4 shot is still pretty small (nominally .13" in diameter; for comparison, #7 is .1") and will have limited penetration. Turkey shells (even 2.75" shells) also tend to be loaded pretty hot & heavy, giving them more recoil than combat buckshot loads.

You'll also definitely want to aim your shotgun. Shooting accurately from the hip is difficult enough at the best of times, and the stress of a real shooting doesn't help matters. If you need a short overall length for storage purposes, a folding stock will accomplish this, but still let you aim properly when shooting.

Back on topic though; as far as I can tell from the picture, there don't seem to be any major alignment problems with the barrel, bolt, or receiver. My guess would be that due to either a defective or damaged extractor, or an improperly-machined extractor notch in the barrel, the extractor was just barely clearing the notch when you first got the gun (which is why it passed function tests and worked well enough the first time you shot it). Then, for some reason, the barrel and/or extractor shifted just enough for the tip of the extractor to slip underneath the extractor notch. Once that happened, the extractor notch was damaged and the extractor would get jammed underneath it every time (kind of like how you keep biting the inside of your cheek after you bite it hard the first time). If this is the case, Remington should be able to just drop in a new barrel and extractor and solve the problem.

Like you said, it's very important to thoroughly inspect and test any gun you intend to rely on. The 870 is a great design, and most of them don't have any issues - especially once they're properly broken in - but even the best production operations will see some defects, it's a statistical certainty.

Baby Gary

Post by Baby Gary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:17 am

I appreciate the ammo advice. My gun arrives @ Remington tomorrow for repair. About 5 years ago I bought my 1st 870. It is unusual in that it is also a tactical express model but it is different from the new gun that I'm having problems with. The receiver, barrel and tube extension all are covered with a "carbon fiber" print design from the factory. The barrel came with the breechers remchoke tube. Because it has a screw on magazine extension, the barrel ring is in the normal position (Unlike the gun in for repair). This gun functions very smoothly and the barrel mates perfectly with the extractor and ejector. However the Knoxx stock gen 1 recoil reducing adjustable rear stock I added does bruise my cheek. When I bought the stock I hadn't seen any utube reviews yet. The customer service rep @ Blackhawk sent instructions on how to lube and break in this stock. I've followed the instructions but I haven't Shot it again. Kinda seems like the more you buy, the more you have that will break, wear out or get stolen. I thank Obama for me buying the 2nd shotgun. When things got crazy I rejoined the NRA And grabbed another tactical shotgun fearing they would soon be banned.

Baby Gary

Post by Baby Gary » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Happy to say, gun has come back with new barrel and new extractor. Quick service from Remington. Looking forward to shooting a couple of boxes of shells.