20ga Large Frame stock removal problems

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

20ga Large Frame stock removal problems

Post by BKinzey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Old Wingmaster.
Serial # 480xxx X
Can't get the stock screw out. Worried I'm about to bugger up the screw slot. If I do, I'm considering drastic measures.

Watched Scorpion8's video on stock removal and saw the tip to remove the trigger group and spray penetrant on the threads. Excellent suggestion, tried it 2 days ago and trying again today to no avail.

Since I am replacing the stock I am considering using a sawzall and cutting through the grip and screw and then use Vicegrips on the stock bolt to force it out. This would also give me access to the receiver stud and I could then remove it and replace both the unyielding screw and stud if need be.

Before ruining a decent wood stock with this drastic measure I thought I might ask for other tips or suggestions.

Here's a pic, not sure it will help.
870 Lug & Screw.jpg
870 Lug & Screw.jpg (175.75 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Re: 20ga Large Frame stock removal problems

Post by BKinzey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Got it!

Karma, success after I post. :lol:

Cobbled together some adapters so I could use my hollow ground bit with my ratchet and get more leverage than my screwdriver. Broke free and a little resistance backing it out. Cleaned up the threads and now it threads freely. I'll look into replacing the 8.5" screw.

Like to swap for an allen head and Brownells doesn't show a replacement, any suggestions there?
Screw Head.jpg
Screw Head.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:21 am

Good job getting that broken free. Yea, sometimes ya ruin one. Check Remington's website for that part, or you might take the old bolt to a hardware store to match threads and see if the have a long bolt or piece of all-thread that you can make work.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Go to Tacticalgunslings.com JD is probably one of the best 870 guys and keeps a lot of parts in stock at fair pricing (AKA AI&P tactical).