Questions About Longer Barrel

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Questions About Longer Barrel

Post by tjmorales » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:58 am

Hello, I got my first Remington 870 (Tactical Version 18' Barrel). I was able to get a used 18 1/2 barrel with a tactical choke in a gunshow. I cleaned and attached it everything seems fine cannot wait to try it out. I did not get a magazine extension Do I still need a magazine clamp for the barrel and original magazine? Thanks and pardon me for the dumb question

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Questions About Longer Barrel

Post by jpfrog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:55 am

If you bought an 870 Tactical with an 18" barrel, it should have already had a magazine extension and clamp (and per the Remington website, it should also have an 18.5" barrel). You should be able to use the clamp and magazine extension from your original tactical version.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you bought the 18" Synthetic, which has the 18" barrel but the standard magazine tube without extension (see link). http://remington.com/products/firearms/ ... 8inch.aspx

If so, you do not need a clamp, as you don't have anything to clamp to without a magazine extension. I am curious though...if you already had an 18" barrel, why trade to an 18.5"? If you had the 18" Synthetic version, I'm guessing you traded up because of the ability to add a choke tube to the 18.5" since the 18" usually isn't threaded for a choke tube.

tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Post by tjmorales » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks for that insight, Its exactly as you said, I was worried because there is a gap, and I do not know if that would affect its performance or safety

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Maybe post some pics of your whole shotgun and also the part where the "gap" is that you are worried about...with visuals, we can probably get this figured out in no time. 8-)

tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Post by tjmorales » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 am

I will come up with photos, however I have a more pressing issue, when i installed the new barrel(18.5in With Remchoke) it comes off when I rack it. So to test if i did something wrong, i reinstalled the original barrel(18in) I have no problem good fit,(ran dummy rounds and dry fired) racked it everything is okay, did i get a bum barrel from remington? or did I do something wrong. The only thing I did change is the foregrip to the new eotech ifl
I am not an expert in shotguns I learned how to do a basic take down including slide and bolt watching yt, I just don't want this barrel to go to waste. Any advice is appreciated Thanks

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Well, I have a couple of ideas, but some photos of both barrels (original and new) would be helpful. Specifically, set them next to each other so we can see the following:
1- overall side by side shot showing full length of barrel
2- close up of the end that slides into the receiver (there should be a notch on this end...maybe a depressed groove to allow for seating inside the receiver as well)

Also take a pic of each barrel installed on the shotgun so we can analyze for any differences. Pics should help figure it out pretty quick.

So between this issue and the previous request, you've got a lengthy photo shoot ahead of you! :lol:

tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Post by tjmorales » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I was about to take photos and came across this article. I think I have the same issue Although the barrel I got is 18.5 with a breacher choke, Ill take photos when I get back
http://www.rem870.com/2012/08/08/import ... -tactical/