MPro7 Gun Cleaner for Shotgun Bolt and Trigger

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
swww

MPro7 Gun Cleaner for Shotgun Bolt and Trigger

Post by swww » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi all,

I would like some help on cleaning the shotgun bolt and trigger with MPro7 gun cleaner. Based on this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxcdaUFCCw from Brownells, Inc. Firearm Maintenance: Remington 870 Cleaning — Part 2/4, he spray the gun scrubber onto bolt and trigger. Can I do the same thing with MPro7 gun cleaner, spray onto the bolts and trigger? My Glock handgun user manual said DON't leave solvent into the firing pin channel, will the same rule apply to the bolt, since bolt assembly contains firing pin?

Thank you very much in advance!

Swww.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: MPro7 Gun Cleaner for Shotgun Bolt and Trigger

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 am

With Glocks (and other striker-fired pistols), the problem with letting solvent, oil, or really any liquid get into the firing pin channel is that it's an enclosed space that can hold onto that liquid. Then, when the gun is fired, the incompressible liquid can dampen the travel of the firing pin, potentially causing light primer strikes. This is the same mechanism that can cause fail-to-fire malfunctions in guns that have been submerged in water. Glocks are actually not as susceptible to this as some other striker-fired pistols I've seen tested, but it is still a possibility.

The 870's firing pin is not enclosed in a channel, it just rides in short, basically cylindrical passages at the very front & rear of the bolt. Very little - if any - liquid could get trapped in there, and even if it was present, it shouldn't impede the travel of the firing pin appreciably. So, there's no danger to spraying the 870's bolt with cleaning products. As for the trigger plate assembly, it is also intended to be cleaned as a unit. The few really enclosed areas, like the passages for the carrier dog follower & spring, hammer spring & plunger, and the safety spring, are all vented to keep any fluids from slowing down movement.

All that said though, solvents tend to strip away or otherwise counteract lubricants. So you should be wiping gun parts off or letting them evaporate (not sure if M-Pro7 does this) before lubricating them and re-assembling the gun. Actual functional lubrication isn't super critical on an 870, but if nothing else, most 870s have finishes that should be oiled occasionally to best protect the underlying metal. I usually just use a Rem-Oil wipe to give everything that's metal a light coating before putting it all together.

swww

Post by swww » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Synchronizor wrote:With Glocks (and other striker-fired pistols), the problem with letting solvent, oil, or really any liquid get into the firing pin channel is that it's an enclosed space that can hold onto that liquid. Then, when the gun is fired, the incompressible liquid can dampen the travel of the firing pin, potentially causing light primer strikes. This is the same mechanism that can cause fail-to-fire malfunctions in guns that have been submerged in water. Glocks are actually not as susceptible to this as some other striker-fired pistols I've seen tested, but it is still a possibility.

The 870's firing pin is not enclosed in a channel, it just rides in short, basically cylindrical passages at the very front & rear of the bolt. Very little - if any - liquid could get trapped in there, and even if it was present, it shouldn't impede the travel of the firing pin appreciably. So, there's no danger to spraying the 870's bolt with cleaning products. As for the trigger plate assembly, it is also intended to be cleaned as a unit. The few really enclosed areas, like the passages for the carrier dog follower & spring, hammer spring & plunger, and the safety spring, are all vented to keep any fluids from slowing down movement.

All that said though, solvents tend to strip away or otherwise counteract lubricants. So you should be wiping gun parts off or letting them evaporate (not sure if M-Pro7 does this) before lubricating them and re-assembling the gun. Actual functional lubrication isn't super critical on an 870, but if nothing else, most 870s have finishes that should be oiled occasionally to best protect the underlying metal. I usually just use a Rem-Oil wipe to give everything that's metal a light coating before putting it all together.
I really appreciate so detailed information. I will probably contact M-Pro7 to see if their gun cleaner will evaporate as others. Thanks again.

The Rattler
Shotgunner

Post by The Rattler » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Please post what you find out from MPro7.

swww

Post by swww » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:06 pm

The Rattler wrote:Please post what you find out from MPro7.
According to MPro7 800 number, the gun cleaner will evaporate. Based on my real usage on my firearm, it does evaporate, but it takes sometime, it may not evaporate as fast as those gun scrubber who is labeled evaporate fast.