Polishing magazine tube

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
mwr1
New Shotgunner

Polishing magazine tube

Post by mwr1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:02 pm

I have been working on 870's for years, even been to LEO armorer's school. I found a receiver with mag tube on gunbroker cheap. The tube was out of alignment and kept the gun from being assembled and functioning. I was able to get that fixed and the action now works great. But I have also found that the interior of the mag tube just in front of the receiver is very rough and will not allow a follower all the way down the tube. It needs polishing badly. After looking at the problem I am thinking of using a 3/4 inch brake hone to do the job. Has anyone else ever run across this problem? If so how did you solve it?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Polishing magazine tube

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:59 am

Is it the mag tube itself, or the follower stop shoulder at the end? Burring on the latter is usually due to old or aftermarket metal magazine followers, and can be taken down by a special piloted reamer tool:

mwr1
New Shotgunner

Re: Polishing magazine tube

Post by mwr1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info. It was actual roughness in side the tube. I used a 1 inch 120 grit flap polishing tool. Then polished on a felt wheel with Flitz polish on it. Came out great. I am going to print the info you provided and save it for future reference.