Flexi-tab Conversion to Vintage 870

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
CBR

Flexi-tab Conversion to Vintage 870

Post by CBR » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I ordered the parts from Remington to do a flexi-tab conversion to a 1969 era Wingmaster. Once installed, the shells did not load but were ejected out the loading port. I had also installed a Remington extended magazine tube. I first tested to determine whether the magazine extension caused the problem. With the original magazine tube parts the same issue occurred. I then put the original carrier assembly in and the shotgun functioned properly. I notice that the dog on the new style carrier assembly has a cut that is not present on the original carrier. Has anyone experienced a similar problem in making the flexi-tab conversion to a vintage 870? I suspect that the problem arises from the difference in the carrier dog. Any assistance would be appreciated. Happy Independence Day!
Last edited by CBR on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBR

Re: Flexi-tab Conversion

Post by CBR » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm

I discussed my issue with a second person at Remington today and believe that I now have the answer to this problem. The carriers that Remington currently manufactures are made for receivers that handle 3 inch shells and are too long for the 2 and 3/4 inch receivers (which my 1969 Wingmaster has). The solution is to either file off the excess length on the current part or purchase an older flexi-tab carrier from a used parts supplier.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Flexi-tab Conversion to Vintage 870

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 am

2 3/4" and 3" guns both use the same-length carriers. My guess is that your new carrier is catching on something. I know some folks have had to tweak replacement carriers slightly to allow them to move unhindered. Try putting the new carrier back in, and just move it with your finger, looking for any spot where it rubs against something in the trigger plate assembly or the interior of the receiver. Your carrier dog follower and/or carrier dog follower spring may have not been aligned properly, as well.

CBR

Post by CBR » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Synchronizer, Thank you for your assistance. I made another call to Remington and their representative verified that the carriers for the 2 and 3/4 and 3 inch receivers are the same length. However, the same person also indicated that a new style fore end tube is necessary to do a complete flexi-tab conversion. It is my understanding that the new tube is not required.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 am

A new fore-end tube assembly is not required; a new-style slide assembly will fit into old-style action bars. What you can't do is use an old-style slide assembly together with new-style action bars, so maybe that's what the rep was referring to.

A new-style fore-end tube assembly is an upgrade over the older version if you're updating the rest of the action, as it has an extra tab that new-style slide assemblies engage to more securely hold the action bars the proper distance apart, in addition to a few other minor tweaks. But it is an optional addition, it's not necessary for the anti-jam feature to work.