New Left Hand 12Ga 870 pump stick to rear

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Luvs2shoot

New Left Hand 12Ga 870 pump stick to rear

Post by Luvs2shoot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:51 am

Need some advice. I just purchased a brand new LH 870. It has never been fired. When I pull the slide to the rear, it sticks. If I press the slide release, it will move forward. If I slam the slide to the rear, it will move forward. I removed the trigger assy, and the slide moves freely. When I re-install the assembly, it sticks. Any ideas of how I can fix this without returning to Remington?
Thanks

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: New Left Hand 12Ga 870 pump stick to rear

Post by BurstBarrel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:31 am

Luvs2shoot wrote:Need some advice. I just purchased a brand new LH 870. It has never been fired. When I pull the slide to the rear, it sticks. If I press the slide release, it will move forward. If I slam the slide to the rear, it will move forward. I removed the trigger assy, and the slide moves freely. When I re-install the assembly, it sticks. Any ideas of how I can fix this without returning to Remington?
Thanks
Take a look at some pictures of a properly assembled 870 Trigger Group and look for something out of place. Field strip the gun and closely look for burrs, flashing, bent parts, etc. and you may very well find it.

If you have the know how take down the trigger group for inspection or have a good gunsmith do it. Sometimes for example $25 for a quick fix is worth more than sending it back to the factory.

The LH is just a mirror of the RH.
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New Left Hand 12Ga 870 pump stick to rear

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:22 am

My first thought would be a burr on the action bar, but the way the action bar lock is shaped, even a huge gouge should be able to slide forward over it without catching.

I would say dry-cycle the gun a bunch, working the slide vigorously. If this is just a burr or rough spot somewhere, that should take care of it. If the problem persists, have a gunsmith look it over. If you have pictures of the action bars and trigger assembly, feel free to upload them here, and we can see if we spot anything.